PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Light Box Test Shots

Post by PeteJ »

One thought on making the change from 35mm to digital. Treat the lenses the same. Digital cameras have a digital zoom which messes with peoples heads. It really doesn't change focal lengths and apertures it just blows the picture up. Treat your stops and lengths the same as you used for film and turn off the digital zoom if you can. For models I like to keep as much as I can manual. Sometimes you will get automatic settings overriding your manual setting and it is a little like trying to set a four jaw chuck on a lathe. You wind up chasing your tail.

SeaBee
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Light Box Test Shots

Post by SeaBee »

Wow - this thread has taken off!

Agree with above. Don't convert focal lengths, it only messes with your head. And it's not a "feature" of digital cameras - it is only applicable to crop sensor ones. On a full frame digital camera you do not have this.

As for the suggestion for longer lengths - I know Steve (and his shots are brilliant!) also suggested this.

Am a Canon user myself, but have a friend who uses Nikkon - I think the same D70 as you. And he also only shoots RAW - there is for sure Nikon software to manage RAW, convert to JPG, etc. (This includes manipulating WB afterwards, just for the record...)

Great to have this new forum, thanks!