Tamiya's odd Lotus 78

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Tamiya's odd Lotus 78

Post by Orso »

When I built my Lotus 78 from the Argentinian GP 1977 I said that the version in the original issue from Tamiya perhaps never raced in that configuration. The end plates of the rear wing has a special shape and is only visible on pictures from the firs two races but then with a different lower air box than it got later. I also said that the rear wing might have been present at the third race at South Africa but the angle on the pictures made it hard to say.
I just found some pictures that say S. Africa 1977: http://www.racingsportscars.com/f1/phot ... 03-05.html
It clearly show the early end plates with the new air box just like the Tamiya kit but there is a difference. Andretti and Nilsson had different shape on the front wing end plates and Nilsson had a higher roll bar than Andretti.
The Tamiya kit has the Andretti roll bar and Nilsson end plates. So it is an odd kit just like their 312T3 that only can be build as Reutemann's British GP car.
But the good thing about this is that now I can build a car from the South African race from the kit that I didn't know what to do with.

mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Re: Tamiya's odd Lotus 78

Post by mazyen »

Interesting analysis.
I’m about to start my1:20 78 build & find this helpful.
Gunnar’s roll bar can be easily extended. There are also 2 types of rear wing end plates in plastic & metal. But from the pics it seems like both cars are using the same rear wing end plates with the curve.
In other words both SA lotuses can be built. Think I’ll go for Gunnar’ s version which means I’ve got redundant photo-etched end plates.
Cheers
Lee