Hi all, newbie on F1M-some q's on decals..

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Your Name: Roy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles and Jean. The number 27 Ferrari...
Ireland

Hi all, newbie on F1M-some q's on decals..

Post by alesi27 »

Just received my Hasegawa Lotus 79 with a set of MSM decals as part of the package from Hobby Easy. Just wondering what the collective think of these as to my eye they are a good deal lighter than the Hasegawa ones. Which is correct? (fwiw, I still don't know if I want to put the full tobacco livery on the car).

Having plenty of experience with Hasegawa aircraft kit decals, I'm wondering if the lotus ones will be as troublesome. Any ideas or feedback from those who have used them before?

At some point in the future, I'd like to pick up a second kit to have both no. 5 and no. 6 on display. I'd therefore like to try the tamiya kit as a comparision. Is there too many differences between the HAs and Tamy kits to display them side by side? Or should I stick to the same brand for both?

Lastly, I've gathered that the hasegawa painting instructions may not be the most accurate, e.g they say the cam covers on the Cossie DFV should be black, I always thought these were a dark metallic colour (as per Tamiya). Should I download the Tamiya instructions and use their painting guide?

TIA,
Roy

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Ireland

Re: Hi all, newbie on F1M-some q's on decals..

Post by alesi27 »

Just to prove I do actually finish some models now and then. Hasegawa kit totally OOB. Finished about 9 years ago. Will someday do another for Ronnie. Great kit.
Attachments
12783676_976372725761797_481829000869447760_o.jpg

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

alesi27 wrote:Just received my Hasegawa Lotus 79 with a set of MSM decals as part of the package from Hobby Easy. Just wondering what the collective think of these as to my eye they are a good deal lighter than the Hasegawa ones. Which is correct? (fwiw, I still don't know if I want to put the full tobacco livery on the car).
Having plenty of experience with Hasegawa aircraft kit decals, I'm wondering if the lotus ones will be as troublesome. Any ideas or feedback from those who have used them before?
At some point in the future, I'd like to pick up a second kit to have both no. 5 and no. 6 on display. I'd therefore like to try the tamiya kit as a comparision. Is there too many differences between the HAs and Tamy kits to display them side by side? Or should I stick to the same brand for both?
Lastly, I've gathered that the hasegawa painting instructions may not be the most accurate, e.g they say the cam covers on the Cossie DFV should be black, I always thought these were a dark metallic colour (as per Tamiya). Should I download the Tamiya instructions and use their painting guide?

TIA,
Roy

Hi Roy... welcome to F1M... I personally would replace them, the most accurate JPS I know are Indycals, the Gold/Yellow he uses is spot on.
Indyals is also a member of F1M, if he still does the Lotus 79 JPS decals, I recommend him... I know he still does the Martini ones check his
website out, good luck Roy, whatever you choose to do... http://www.indycals.net/

All the best
Steve.
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

GGSF1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by GGSF1 »

I cannot help you with the questions about decals, but about whether to build a second kit of the same brand or switch to the other one, I remembered having read a comparison of the two somewhere. And while I didn't find that one, I've found other two links that might be useful: As for the colours to use you could check the Tamiya instructions as you say but maybe it's a better idea to check pictures of the real car :wink:

And by the way, that build of the Lotus 79 looks very nice!

Topic author
alesi27
F2
F2
Ireland

Post by alesi27 »

Should have clarified that the original post was before I built the model. Long long ago... Maybe I should have put it in a new post instead. Anyway thanks for the help and kind words.

GGSF1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by GGSF1 »

My bad, I should have checked the date of the original message :lol:

Although maybe our replies are still useful for someone :wink:

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

Ha :lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: sorry Roy I never noticed that either!!!

I can here my primary school teacher Mr Jenkins... WILSON... pay attention at the back
there, with a blackboard rubber whistling through the air towards me... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Hey at least everyone was rushing in to help with answers, typical of this forum. Love it.

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Well Roy, It looks like you have re-opened Pandora's Box on the great subject of Lotus JPS decals!
This is not the first time and will not be the last that this subject comes up on the F1M Forums...
I think I have purchased just about every set of aftermarket decals for these two kits on the market since they came out almost 10 years ago. I think the only set I haven't purchased yet is the ones from Michael ('just haven't got around to it - but I hear they are awesome...as usual)…
Here is my input: use anything!, one thing to understand is that those decals on the real car seem to fade over time - as I've seen various chassis numbers throughout the years at various venues and they seem to never be quite the same - but with this color of Bisquit / Gold it is very hard to get any pics to match due to different lighting, etc. Somebody like Steve Mohlenkamp, a Pro Racing Photographer, Modeling Artiste, and F1M Member may say the same thing - as we have had this discussion and if anybody would know, he would. So here's my advice, use the set of decals you want to. Don't worry about the exact perfect shade of bisquit! - just make sure to use decals from the same sheet! (If you try and match decals from various sheets you will need psychiatric treatment!).
Also, when you see pics of this car, the decals look like gold, so why not use a set of the gold ones out there...isn't that the mental pic we all have in our heads as to what the cars looked like anyway? Just my Humble Opinion Everyone...Querque