Topic author
tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Excellent hobby shop in Detroit, Michigan area

Post by tubegenius »

Great Lakes Hobby and Train has Tamiya pink primer in stock. Also the new brown primer, and every Tamiya TS paint there is and some AS too. Also Vallejo paint. Tamiya kits at very reasonable prices such as the new ferrari ($55) and re-released 1/12 6 wheeler ($107). Not bad for a brick and mortar store. Van Dyke Rd. south of M-59. No word yet on the new 1/12 Alfa. If you live in metro Detroit or will be visiting here, this is the place to go.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: Excellent hobby shop in Detroit, Michigan area

Post by SBEST »

Great to hear they are still in business.
Last edited by SBEST on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Thats a great deal. My "local" (over an hour away now) shop has the Ferrari for $62, but they do a weird thing where they take 20% off models so you have to do math to figure out what you're actually paying!

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

That's great to hear! When I moved to Pittsburgh I was surprised to learn there are some pretty well stocked hobby stores around here, more so than where I used to live in Boston, and CT before that. There's a hobbytown by the airport, an old school shop on the north shore, and a very well stocked full service hobby store about 35 mins north where I picked up the SF70H for a pretty good price. If I'm ever in the Detroit area I'll have to check this place out :)

PTR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams & Ligier
United States of America

Post by PTR »

The Model Cave in Ypsilanti is excellent too.

Topic author
tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

PTR wrote:The Model Cave in Ypsilanti is excellent too.
I've heard of it, but wasn't sure it was still in business. I will definitely check it out next time I'm out that way.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Fortunately, there are still a few good hobby shops in the metro Detroit area. In addition to Great Lakes Hobby, there's also Nankin Hobbies in Farmington Hills, which typically has decent stock of supplies and kits. As well Pasteiners on Woodward in Birmingham has all things automotive fun (models, die cast, books, tons of magazines, movies, etc.), and is owned by a super nice local family. They also hold Cars and Coffee on weekends in the summer. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

CBartholomew4677 wrote:Fortunately, there are still a few good hobby shops in the metro Detroit area. In addition to Great Lakes Hobby, there's also Nankin Hobbies in Farmington Hills, which typically has decent stock of supplies and kits. As well Pasteiners on Woodward in Birmingham has all things automotive fun (models, die cast, books, tons of magazines, movies, etc.), and is owned by a super nice local family. They also hold Cars and Coffee on weekends in the summer. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.
Cheers,
Chris
Yes, Pasteiners is a sport car lovers paradise. There is also a fair sized stash of aftermarket decals and upgrade parts and even a few resin multimedia kits. Steve is a super guy, and I have sold some kits on consignment there. Still have some there for sale. Brick and mortar still lives in Detroit!