Topic author
Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Houston

Post by Indy1977TX »

I will be in my old stomping grounds the week of the 13th and wanted to know what hobby stops to make, if I have time. I looked for old threads but found nothing in the last 5 years so thought it could use an update since brick and mortar stores don't stay around long these days.

Jordan

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Houston

Post by mobiusone »

I'll tell you right now, as a resident of Houston... They're isn't much at all anymore. There is a nice Hobby Town on the west side on Highway 6, and then G&G Hobby inside the 610 loop. Both are so so on car models, but a good spot for tools and supplies, especially HobbyTown. Annnnnd thats about it. I rarely go to either of them, in fact I go to Kings Hobby in Austin and Hill Country Hobby in San Antonio more often. If you can travel and maybe go see the bluebonnets (early spring, should be out during then) then i would say 110% spend your time doing that. For the U.S's 3rd largest city, there isn't anything anymore.
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Houston

Post by R.Wells »

mobiusone wrote:I'll tell you right now, as a resident of Houston... They're isn't much at all anymore. There is a nice Hobby Town on the west side on Highway 6, and then G&G Hobby inside the 610 loop. Both are so so on car models, but a good spot for tools and supplies, especially HobbyTown. Annnnnd thats about it. I rarely go to either of them, in fact I go to Kings Hobby in Austin and Hill Country Hobby in San Antonio more often. If you can travel and maybe go see the bluebonnets (early spring, should be out during then) then i would say 110% spend your time doing that. For the U.S's 3rd largest city, there isn't anything anymore.
Hate to say it, but Mobius is correct. All of the Houston Hobby shops have disappeared. Right now G&G is about the best there is. They do buy collections from time to time so if you go, you may get lucky and run across something. I was lucky enough last year to pick up 3-43rd scale kits at a bargain price.
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells