NOT ONE BUT TWO

Info on hobby shops.

Topic author
87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

NOT ONE BUT TWO

Post by 87bmwm6 »

a few months ago I lamented about the closing of the one hobby shop here in cedar rapids Iowa when the owner retired. It now appears we will get two hobby shops opening. A hobby town is opening where the old box kar hobby shop was. And I just learned of the opening of a place called the hobby corner. This is a shop that is located in Iowa City and is expanding to Cedar Rapids. Hobby corner has been around over 40 years that I can recall. I remember driving to Iowa City as a kid and marveling at Hobby Corners selection of almost impossible to obtain Fujimi model kits. The original location was in a small rat hole of a building. What memories. It's not heaven it's Iowa. Iowa may not be the ends of the earth but you can see it from here. Jack.

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Re: NOT ONE BUT TWO

Post by acer709 »

Great to see the hobby is alive and kicking stateside! 8)

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

There is still a lingering question - how much there would be about non R/C in those new stores.
In any case, better to have more hobby stores then less. Hopefully there will be enough non R/C
items for static model builders.

Topic author
87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 87bmwm6 »

for me its having a place close for basic things like paint, glue and other supplies. Most if not all of models purchased come from places like Macs modeling. I like doing MFH kits or other multi-media kits.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

A few weeks ago I accidently found a new hobbyshop just ten minutes away from my home. I wasn'T much into modeling the last two years so I guess I missed it. Honestly it was a little bit like a dream come true.
The have all the big names Tamiya, Revell, Ebbro, Hasegawa and loooots more and there a thousands of models with all available Tamiya 1/12 kits. They must have everything in stock Tamyia ever producred to help making models. With masses of paints, glues, Putties, weatherign materials plus a lot from Humbrol Revell etc...so it's a little paradise.
On my first visit I picket up Revell M1 for 11€ and that is quiet a bargain. And I really thought I will support that store to the best I can ans bought the Mefistofele and will for sure buy all my basic plastic models there !!!
Here some impressions

And there is a lot more to see...even some toy figures. So when I look through all the shelves I can "park" my little girl in front of the figures and everybody is happy ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

daniel wrote:A few weeks ago I accidently found a new hobbyshop just ten minutes away from my home. I wasn'T much into modeling the last two years so I guess I missed it. Honestly it was a little bit like a dream come true.
The have all the big names Tamiya, Revell, Ebbro, Hasegawa and loooots more and there a thousands of models with all available Tamiya 1/12 kits. They must have everything in stock Tamyia ever producred to help making models. With masses of paints, glues, Putties, weatherign materials plus a lot from Humbrol Revell etc...so it's a little paradise.
On my first visit I picket up Revell M1 for 11€ and that is quiet a bargain. And I really thought I will support that store to the best I can ans bought the Mefistofele and will for sure buy all my basic plastic models there !!!
Here some impressions

And there is a lot more to see...even some toy figures. So when I look through all the shelves I can "park" my little girl in front of the figures and everybody is happy ;-)

Which shop do you mean Daniel? Can`t see any picture actually :|
Take a stand!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

...strange. On my Pc the pictures work but not on may iPad.
That the store

https://ms-plueth.de/

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

imatt88
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Ian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Senna, Sir Jackie Stewert, among others.
I followed Lotus, Williams (because I was stationed near their HQ back in the '80s), Mclaren, and a bunch more
United States of America

Post by imatt88 »

That's great that two hobby shops are opening in your area.

I have two hobby shops near me, one in Ocala, Fl and the Hobby Town in Gainesville, Fl.

The Hobby Town has one small isle of kits, a small section of trains, and the rest is all RC and drones.

I know I shouldn't complain about actually having hobby shops available to me, but the selection is so limited, it's discouraging.

Anyway, on a positive note, I heard Walmart might be selling models again :D

Cheers,. Ian

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

daniel wrote:...strange. On my Pc the pictures work but not on may iPad.
That the store

https://ms-plueth.de/
Yes strange, i`m using firefox and the same like on your ipad.
Thx a lot for this info! I will travel there by my next visite in Köln, sounds realy good cause we have no more real modeling shop here in Aachen since Danhausen closed many years ago and 70km is not much to go by. :)
Take a stand!

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from MS Plueth, through Fleabay though, since we only have RC-model shops
around here. I can't even get most of Tamiya colour range locally... Bit surprised I didn't bother checking
whether they had an actual online presence other than Fleabay :oops:
Cheers,
Roman