Negative feedback on vendor

News about the F1M.com web site.

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Negative feedback on vendor

Post by 43rdMichael »

Genuine question for Eric / moderators about the removal of negative feedback about vendors.
Is there a concern f1m could be held liable for lost business, or is it simply trying to keep discussion on modelling?
Conscious i may be opening a can of worms, but clarity on the underlying concern would help me self-moderate.
In 30 years of modelling, i’ve only lost money three times. I would love to have been aware that all three had a ‘reputation’ before sending $.
Thanks
Michael

h.kruithof
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Harm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Emerson Fittipaldi
Netherlands

Re: Negative feedback on vendor

Post by h.kruithof »

I have recently had a very unpleasant experience with a member who put up a number of kits for sale. After agreeing on a deal I paid him the money through Paypal. He hasn't replied to any of my messages and seems to have disappeared: a classic case of take the money and run. I know from other members that they suffered the same fate with this member. I now see this man is still a member of F1m.com. Can't we think of something under the 'For sale' section so that other members be warned of vendors like this? By the way: I have reported him to the local police.

Harm

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

HI,

It is more complicated than that... which is all I will say for the moment.

However, F1M would be covered under Section 230 of the CDA for any comments posted by members. And while posts have been moderated for negative feedback as a courtesy, it is not legally necessary, and had been done to keep discourse civil and on topic >> scale modeling.

I would also point out the Streisand effect where attempting to control a piece of information results in the unintended consequence of making it even more public.

i.e., "Let sleeping dogs lie."

Eric

43rdMichael wrote:Genuine question for Eric / moderators about the removal of negative feedback about vendors.
Is there a concern f1m could be held liable for lost business, or is it simply trying to keep discussion on modelling?
Conscious i may be opening a can of worms, but clarity on the underlying concern would help me self-moderate.
In 30 years of modelling, i’ve only lost money three times. I would love to have been aware that all three had a ‘reputation’ before sending $.
Thanks
Michael

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I would follow these two principles depending what your role is:

Caveat Venditor "Seller Beware"
Caveat Emptor "Buyer Beware"

It's worked for me.

Steve

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

That's a very well worded query Michael, I like your thought process.

Reputations alone should be enough to set alarm bells ringing...

"Buyer Beware" indeed.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Thanks Eric and Paul.
Appreciate the responses. All clear.
Apologies for ‘stirring the pot’.
Michael

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I don't now the details of the transaction in question, but PayPal is very good about protecting both parties. Follow the basic steps - trackable shipping, etc - and all should be good. If someone doesn't follow through just file a claim. Where this breaks down is if the transaction is money to a friend. Do not do a money to friend deal unless it is someone you know and can trust! That removes all buyer protections.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

I feel paypal benefits buyer way more than vendor...
Sending signed isn't waterproof: buyer only has to claim not received, and paypal will refund/damand you to replace, even when parcel was signed for on delivery. Happened to me.
Also, buyer can think of several reasons to send item back and make seller pay for delivery costs, even if they bought it my mistake or changed mind or found it cheaper elsewhere: "item not as described" (item being exactly as desribed - happened to me), item damaged (for sure buyer damaged it on purpose - happened to me) etc.

I tend to loose 3 to 4% of deliveries made, and i already have excluded Africa, South America & some Asian countries to send to because of lacking postal service there.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

That thought of a PayPal refund got me all excited for a bit...

I placed an order with an (unspecified) vendor of quality detail parts at the end of December and he has kept on making promises that he would send them to me (but hasn't as yet).

I just looked at the PayPal site and can see that you have to claim a refund within 180 days (and I'm just over that limit).

Seems a bit unfair but it's worth knowing this if you are ever in the same position as me.
Malcolm

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Malcolm wrote:That thought of a PayPal refund got me all excited for a bit...

I placed an order with an (unspecified) vendor of quality detail parts at the end of December and he has kept on making promises that he would send them to me (but hasn't as yet).

I just looked at the PayPal site and can see that you have to claim a refund within 180 days (and I'm just over that limit).

Seems a bit unfair but it's worth knowing this if you are ever in the same position as me.
Malcolm
I would contact Paypal directly. Even if they will not refund your payment maybe they can put pressure on him by limiting access to his account. Other thought would be if you paid through Paypal using a credit card can you make a fraudulent claim with your credit card company??

I personally think that it is BS that there is not somewhere here at F1M that a buyer can not document his buying experience without fear of the thread being locked or deleted. I've suggested this before but nothing ever happens.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports