f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Scale Auto Magazine is Dead

Post by f1m »

From https://www.facebook.com/ScaleAutoMagazine/Dear Enthusiasts,Since 1979, Scale Auto (originally Scale Auto Enthusiast) has been proud to offer the latest tips and techniques to help car modelers build the coolest, hottest, most realistic scale replicas on four wheels. While we remain committed to serving scale-auto builders, we regretfully announce we are discontinuing publication of Scale Auto magazine. October 2020 will be the final issue.However, the Scale Auto brand will live on in the pages and on the website of FineScale Modeler Magazine, where our dedicated audience of car modelers will continue to find product news, model builds, and advice from the greatest modeling experts in the world.If you have any questions, please contact customer service at customerservice@ScaleAuto.infoWe thank all of our customers and partners for their support of Scale Auto over its many years, and look forward to seeing you again in FineScale Modeler.– Tim Kidwell, editorRead
Last edited by f1m on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Scale Auto Magazine is Dead

Post by PeteJ »

I would say I am going to miss it, but over the last few years, it has been so unreliable and unpredictable, it was just a shock when it arrived! Sorry to see it go though. It was a slow, painful demise. Just glad the website continues.

1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

Just read the email a few minutes ago. Not a big surprise given the number of "specialty" mags that have folded in the past year or two. Not sure if I'll miss this one - the editorial content has declined over the years and now mostly consists of articles that I find to be not overly helpful or related to my area of interest. Also the content just doesn't justify the subscription price. Oh well. another one bites the dust...

Fast289back
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf
Canada

Post by Fast289back »

I was wondering when that email was going to arrive in my Inbox. Figured it was only a matter of time. About this time last year I received a similar email for a Classic Ford Mustang magazine I had been a subscriber to since the mid eighties.

Growing up in a small town in Canada it was SAE that taught me new techniques and informed me about upcoming releases. Information that is readily available on the internet now.

Call me nostalgic but I still prefer to read physical copies of magazines and books versus reading them on a tablet or ereader.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I hope they find some way to digitize the library and sell articles to model enthusiasts.

Steve

Topic author
f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

They have an DVD/app which will covers most of the issues but its has issues with any MacOS version after High Sierra / 10.13

Eric

SBEST wrote:I hope they find some way to digitize the library and sell articles to model enthusiasts.

Steve

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi all,

Saddened but not surprised at all by this news. SA (formerly SAE) has been in a tailspin for several years.

I used to subscribe but canned it when the magazine content amounted to little more than an advertising pamphlet.

It's a pity but online technology has steadily killed off most forms of printed news and information.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

I'm always saddened of the demise of a Modelling Magazine... Both Scale Auto Magazine and Finescale Modeler played a huge part in me building my vehicle models... I used to get both of them from the model shop in Harrow, sadly demised itself as well now... Along with Finescale Modeler, it was also the Magazine that first made me aware of the modelling skills and photography of my now good friend Steve Mohlenkamp... I am saddened by the news, but like others, I'm also not surprized the final nail's been knocked in it's coffin...
RIP to a big name in vehicle modelling. :( :( :(
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

Now the website is dead.

Time to spend more time here as I build mostly formula cars and rally cars, plus the occasional Nascar....

Winter is around the corner. I will be more engaged here. Not the FSM website they send me to.

Steve

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I was an avid buyer and reader of Scale Auto enthusiast 20 years ago, but it was just too much American Muscle car and hot rod over and over. I was not into American Muscle cars and never have been that into them. I was and always have been a racing junkie. As such I dropped the magazine long ago as I just was done with the content. I have not purchased an issue in at least 10 to 15 years.

My all time favorite feature was a rebuild of the Revell 1/12 Camero into the famous Racing Sunoco Camero as driven by Mark Donahue in Trans Am. I so wanted to build that car but the conversion work was always past my abilities. I tried in vain to convert the 1/24 CAmero, I think i even found the decals but never could get the fender bulges right.