Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Autosport - F1 Racing Print Discontinued

Post by SBEST »

Any thoughts ?

https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/10/08 ... -editions/

Myself, I haven't brought Autosport in years....

Steve

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Re: Autosport - F1 Racing Print Discontinued

Post by Joaquin »

it's fully logical. I live in a 50.000 people town and right now there are only 3 press / mags. shops. It's not so easy to see people paying for a newspaper and almost the same happens with mags with information that can be found easily in the net.

However, the request for people that can write what the readers are interested in will stay the same. Only the support changes. Trees are happier today

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

I follow Autosport on the internet and I pay for a subscription to the site but with the internet sites there was no reason to even have a digital subscription to the magazine. Mark Hughes I can read for free on Motorsport magazine’s web site for free and he’s the F1 journalist I enjoy the most. Best of luck to those made redundant, technology is claiming a lot of victims.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

They decided to continue the print version of Autosport for the moment. But its going to be 11 quid an issue, which is just an excuse for them to now pull back from the print issue at a later date. It was obvious there was going to happen to be a change with all the money being put into Motorsport.com recently.

I don't have the same connection to Autosport as many of you so it doesn't really affect me. In the mid 2000s when I started really watching international motorsport, the weekend editor had a habit of copying reports word for word from other people, so I didn't spend much time getting into it after that.

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

£11 an issue? :D

I stopped buying F1 related print when F1 News stopped way back when. F1 Racing was always to expensive imo.

nowadays i get my info from F1technical and motorsport.com

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

That's what they wanted, Motorsport bought out Autosport years ago and has been consolidating everything under their banner.

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

The demise of these printed publications over the last several years has coincided with my own decreasing interest in motorsport in general, and F1 specifically.

I haven't watched an Indycar race in years and really dislike the current formula in F1, the lousy new race tracks, the overly safe conditions with 2nd gear corners, and so on.

In this era, I just don't need to devour information about the sport like I used to when I was younger and much more interested in the sport.

I participate at F1 Technical a little and that's about it.

baggen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Sweden

Post by baggen »

The demise of these printed publications over the last several years has coincided with my own decreasing interest in motorsport in general, and F1 specifically.

I haven't watched an Indycar race in years and really dislike the current formula in F1, the lousy new race tracks, the overly safe conditions with 2nd gear corners, and so on.

In this era, I just don't need to devour information about the sport like I used to when I was younger and much more interested in the sport.

I participate at F1 Technical a little and that's about it.
Agree to 100%!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I completely get it. The biggest failure in F1 the last 5 years has been explaining why anyone should care about the new engines and also consistent stewarding. My interest has waned as F1 has decided that intentionally slowing down specific teams like happened in the 80s-early 2010s wasn't part of the sport anymore.

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

When I was a teen-ager back in the 70's, in Unserville (Albuquerque, NM), we had the following ways to keep up with current F1 happenings: In order of most current news listed first:
New York Times on microfische at the Downtown public library (a week late), Auto Week (about 2 weeks behind), "RaceCar" with about a 2 month delay - found only at European Auto parts (I only found this mag at this little parts shop, on their counter - as I owned a '67 VW Squareback that needed parts from Germany like bees need pollen), and then the best, IMHO - articles back then came out of "Road & Track", Only about 3 months late - but worth it, as Rob Walker wrote the best articles back in the day (I found out years later that the same articles/ F1 Race Reviews were written originally for one of the British Racing magazines - and I believe it was "Autosport"!, and they were re-printed for us Yanks to read in R&T 3 bloody months later - as we wouldn't know any better! (Sorry about the swearing! hehe!)