Finally FW14B detail set

For all F1 scale model news...

GT-F2
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Finally FW14B detail set

Post by GT-F2 »

Chinamalc wrote:
GT-F2 wrote: I just wish they had made a corrected front suspension cowl as that step in the cover really needs to be corrected, I guess I’ll have to do that one myself.
Thats something I have been wondering - it would mean changing the angle of the join between the body and cowl? I have never seen this corrected by anyone building the Tamiya kit, have you any thoughts on how it could be done?

Malc.
I’ve had a couple of goes at doing this and it’s a really tricky thing to get right.
Currently I haven’t managed to get it correct but I have been studying photos of that area of the car again and I now believe that it is a combination of changing the angle of the slopes and moving the ‘bullhorns’ up at the rear slightly. The cover does not just ‘butt’ up to the monocoque, it butts up at the top and overlaps further down towards the bullhorns. It’s really difficult to explain it and you may need to look at photos to really understand what I mean.
Tamiya effort was either a massive compromise because of material thickness or maybe just a mistake.
Last edited by GT-F2 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT-F2
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by GT-F2 »

Regarding the list of corrections, I looked through some of my posts but couldn’t find it quickly to re-post and decided just to list a few points.

The monocoque/suspension cover previously discussed is probably one of the most obvious items to correct.

The sides of the monocoque are too low, I cut mine and added height.

The rear part of the monocoque sides are the wrong shape, this also affects the width of radiators(the radiators need to be slightly wider IMO)
Here is what I did with the monocoque.
EA79C7A2-92E8-4EA0-A8C2-FB35DF535255.jpeg
EA79C7A2-92E8-4EA0-A8C2-FB35DF535255.jpeg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 281 times
The radiator ducting is a little wide at the front and consequently the radiator opening in the bodywork is too wide.

The angle of the air box/back of the monocoque(where the ECU is) is not quite correct.
The fuel inlet part is on a surface mounted flange on the rear on the Tamiya model and should be recessed-see your reference pictures.

The engine is an RS4 with RS3 bits(fuel injection and active Hydraulic pump).
The hydraulic pump was fitted in the engine v(rear) which is common knowledge since the Haynes book was published.

The rear of the gearbox has detail missing, refer to pics.

The rear wing brackets are slightly the wrong shape.

For those who wish to build the kit as at a specific race you will need to make modifications to the following items.

The undertray rear diffuser in the Tamiya kit is only the correct shape for races up to silverstone where it was modified and it was again modified for the race in Portugal.

The gold coloured box on the left side-pod should only be fitted for the GP’s when the camera was fitted. From monza the camera was silver(not yellow) and the gold box was no longer used. The gold box was part of the onboard camera setup and presumably the newer camera no longer required those electronics.

The car used a few styles of brake ducts through the season. Monza, for example used a bigger version of the style provided in the kit.
Last edited by GT-F2 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT-F2
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by GT-F2 »

Hi all, I have a few comments regarding the Top studio sets.
In the first set they provide the front damper spring pack for behind the seat, this has been copied from the drawings in the Haynes manual which does not show the pipe that comes out of the rear of it.
They also did not include the drinks bag or it’s small electric pump.
Another omission I noticed is the hydraulic accumulator reservoir that is mounted just behind the bulkhead (that the dashboard is mounted to) although this would likely be very hard to see in the completed model.

The second set at first glance seems to be missing the electronics box for the car-pit telemetry which sits in the circular insert on the top of the monocogue(at the front).

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

GT-F2 - Thanks, thats great info.
Any chance of some bigger photos of what you have done?

M

GT-F2
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by GT-F2 »

Hi,
There are a few bits of the monocoque to tidy up and complete still and I’ve put it aside for the moment while I wait to see what top studio provide.
Once I sort out the suspension cover and get the monocoque finished I will post some more pictures it and a full description of all the changes I made.

The Tamiya kit features a lot of compromises to make sure of good fit and clearance of the bodywork whilst providing strong parts. It is a good kit for it’s time and considering the secrecy surrounding the car and also it’s active technology when the kit was made.

I knew Top studio would never be able provide many of the corrections that I know are required because it would have required modification of much of the kit.

My hope is that they produce parts for the engine to correct(as much as is possible) to an RS3C configuration rather than just detail it up.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thx for pointing to that potential mistakes, lets see what TS is coming up with and what is left over. I think they will not do a specific race, makes no sence from buisness side, but i`m fine with whatever they come up with to bring in more details like the kit offers.
Take a stand!

willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Post by willster127 »

I laser scanned the front of the monocoque at work today and am going to look at a 3D printed replacement for the front of the tub and the shock cover for my kit.

I'll keep you all in the loop with it and maybe it will end up in my shapeways store if it turns out nice!

waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

Post by waxdart »

Yes Please!

I'll keep you all in the loop with it and maybe it will end up in my shapeways store if it turns out nice![/quote]

herrboma
F2
F2

Post by herrboma »

Don't forget to put air in the tyres :roll:

Balthazar.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

willster127 wrote:I laser scanned the front of the monocoque at work today and am going to look at a 3D printed replacement for the front of the tub and the shock cover for my kit.
I assume you mean you scanned the Tamiya kit, not that you have a full size FW14b at work?! :D

Malc.