September MFH 1/12 full-detail news

For all F1 scale model news...

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: September MFH 1/12 full-detail news

Post by ronnie1972 »

The reddish tint makes me wonder if it's a 1971-72 March?

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

hoping it's this. They just put the wrong engine in it. 8)
Attachments
brmnose.jpg
brmnose.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 257 times

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

Agreed, a BRM V12 would be lovely. As much as I want to see Tyrrell 006 series, there's something so evocative about the 70's twelve cylinder screamers. I'm still waiting for the Matra 670-670B's.
For all of the mechanized chaos of the aspirated multi-cylinder F1 machines 1989 through the re-introduction of the turbo engines, I always felt the 70's twelves were the nicest sounding. The latter 10's and 12's sounded almost too efficient.
The jungle yell of the Matra was mesmerizing, as Mario Andretti once said, "the Matra V-12 just sounded like...Power!"

rswestling
Spectator
Spectator

Post by rswestling »

Ford P68? (He hopes...) Would be nice to see a non-Ferrari/Porsche 1/12 release from MFH. But considering the colour, JPS Type 72 may be more likely.

A wildcard: Rondeau M379, a LeMans winner in 1980.

-robert

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

Maybe a Lotus 72 E . I know they did the 1/12 Transkit

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

rswestling wrote:Ford P68? (He hopes...) Would be nice to see a non-Ferrari/Porsche 1/12 release from MFH. But considering the colour, JPS Type 72 may be more likely.

A wildcard: Rondeau M379, a LeMans winner in 1980.

-robert
Wowzer, that Ford 3 liter would be a hoot. I think it never ever even amounted to much because it was suffering from the
same high speed instability the early 917 struggled and unlike the 917 it was shelved as it a full redesign was deemed
necessary which just wasn't on the cards finacially. So the project was scrapped before it could take off, but I liked the
shape of it.
However, on seeing the DFV again my first thought was "Tyrrell" - just gut feeling, not an educated guess, a rather un-
educated guess really :P. There were too many DFVs around, and the P68 seems an unlikely candidate as it never won
anything, the Tyrrell on the other hand...
Cheers,
Roman

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Well, they did the P68 in 1:24.
Sad thing is, that the shape is quite wrong and doesn't capture the great look of the real thing.
If they were to do it in 1:12 i hope they'd start from scratch and not the old data.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

I looked closely at pictures from the 1970 Lotus 49C Cosworth ..Spot on ! Could it be ?Not my era but anyway some of you might be interested :wink:

Just a guess,
Alex.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

We are looking for an engine with this valve cover..only one side with attachment holes..

Alex.
Attachments
Untitledà.jpg
Untitled.jpg

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

jordan wrote:We are looking for an engine with this valve cover..only one side with attachment holes..

Alex.

Good catch. Mine was a quick look. I was looking at was there, not what was not there. However, in your diagram of the single triple hole mounting point, it appears to be placed at the back of the valve cover rather than the front. The front of the valve covers has some extra width, for the valve gears. Indeed the early covers did not have the front and back cast in triple mounting holes. Rear suspension pickup was on the back of the cylinder head.

So the photo in question only suggests a reference to early DFV valve covers. There is evidence that early DFV’s were still in play into 1970, although early valve covers may have been in play longer, unless there was a need for the rear mounting points other reasons. I did see today a photo of a March 701, well as a GLTL 72 without the rear set of 3 on the valve covers. Mention was made of the Lotus49C. There is evidence that the 49C used the upper rear cam cover bolts to mount its rollover bar stays, so these may not have had the rear 3 hole cast in tab.

First I have seen so far(for sure) with the 3 rear mounting hole cast tab is on the launch photo of the Lotus 63 which had a bracket attached to one of the rear triple mounting points. A Lotus 63 would be a nice kit!

I think there could be any number of cars that might have the early covers. It is also possible that MFH are using the engine photos from their Lotus 49. Obviously the photo suggests a DFV powered car, but I still continue to suggest that engine photo does really pinpoint a particular car.
Last edited by smbrm1 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.