willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Re: New MFH full-detail 1/12 kit for June

Post by willster127 »

Looking again it seems to me that the back end is just miles too wide. One the rear view of the actual car the inside edge of the rear wheel lines up somewhere between the orange and red of the tail light, on the model it is all outboard of the light. Rear track is so wide you can see the front tires inboard of the rears, I think that throws off everything moving forwards.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Based on the two pictures posted before. Guide lines are set per the photo of the actual car. The model screenshot has
been layered see-through on top. Please note that the perspective is not exactly the same, but it is close enough and in
any case the width of the car was used as the scale. I have taken the model and have a scaled its width (with keeping
the aspect ratio!) so it matches that of the actual photo. Draw your own conclusions.
comparison
comparison
Note how in this comparison the rear arches are lacking in height when compared to the photo. Also the roof of the car
seems to be to low and the general body of the car appears to be too narrow. Now I can try and do the same exercise
tomorrow to match the height of the car and thus maybe the wheels will match but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to
know that the arches will be sticking out a good deal further than they probably should.
What can be seen as well in this is that the engine opening offering that beautiful view of that red hot exhaust side of
the turbo is too wide already. If I match the body dimensions, it will be even wider off the mark. Maybe overall the
roof is too low as well. Not sure on that, could be a perspective thing.
Cheers,
Roman

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

Wouldn't it be great if some highly competent, little company came along and started making racing car models?

I'm thinking specifically of Wingnut Wings and their 1:32 WWI aircraft models. It's a tiny company with maybe 15 employees. They started from nothing but quickly started making some of the best styrene model kits anyone has ever seen. All done on computers with the molding being farmed out to China.

MFH started developing a reputation for being that type of company years ago, but they really aren't. They have way too many issues to be regarded as highly as WNW.

PS: How can they get the tires wrong!? They have very specific, known dimensions.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

This is a photo of a photo of the actual car in the actual Le Mans 1974.

That rear tire sidewall looks pretty much like the one in the kit to me... Low speed corner. The way those ancient Dunlop crossply tires grew in diameter in those days may be something most here most have forgotten all about... :roll:

Image[/url]2019-06-21 21.45.33 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr

Flemming

Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

Good to know, feeling better about it now.