New MFH full-detail 1/12 kit for June

For all F1 scale model news...

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: New MFH full-detail 1/12 kit for June

Post by jaykay »

I can't tell if it's too wide, but i agree it's not "right".
Without knowing the measurements and just looking at pictures i'd say the rear wheel is too small in diameter and because of that the shape of the rear fender isn't right ( different angle at the top at least ).

Maybe they looked at the Eidai Grip boxart for reference. That has the same tendency...

Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

If nothing else, the MFH rear tire sidewall is not nearly tall enough. Why can't a company that controls every step of their process get things right. :roll:

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Of course it's hard to tell from pictures if there is something right or wrong but in jaykay's first image the car has mayn differences to the model, check the front !
I also would say that is a modern image with "wrong" rearwheels. I reality it ran pretty small wheels that lookes kinda strange.
Here are two period pictures and one from zandsvoort. I would say the proportions looks right. But at least the outside/ends of the rear fender looks wrong, way to square and too high. But I guess there are many more inaccuracies....

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Stupid question...but how many 2.1 Turbos did Porsche built. And also what's the story behind the one jaykay posted, with that F-model front !?

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

I don’t know this car very well, but agree it doesn’t match the photos.

Not to stick the boots in, but the 312t2 kits look like they hav avon tyres. Fronts in particular look large to my eye. The ferrari 640 has the nose of a 639. Everything is fixable, but just takes theedge off what were ‘must have’ subjects for me.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

It seems Hiro's biggest problem are tires followed by poorly shaped bodywork on some models. I think they try to do to much on CAD and also need to slow down the process. But in reality THEY think they are doing just fine, so why would they change?

After the Daytona competition and Alfa T33 TT12 kits with horrible tires and bad body construction I am really not into buying to many more Hiro kits unless no one else will ever do it. If I have a choice between a good 1/12th resin built up and a poorly shaped Hiro I will take the built up even if it is curbside. Top Marques/GP Replicas and several other companies are popping up and doing 1/12th models. They also make mistakes but in general seem to do better than Hiro on wheels/tires and body shapes.(not including wire wheels wich Hiro does very well)

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Combination of the body being too wide and the tires look too small both in width and height in the rear. I too think that Christians version is a better choice.

Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

I have the same opinion (for an error) when I saw the rear fenders, but I puzzled when I make some photo search...

Seems they are wide for Le Mans cars, similar to what MFH does. Also, the rear tyres are lower profile than restored or event versions.

I am pretty sure that the arc, at the end of the fender, must be more curved (Hiro's fenders arc are straight in general, in many cases ).

For sure MFH, as Tommy said, must improve their research. If Mr. Hiro san reads this forum, an idea is to publish the general CAD design and made the necessary improvements after our feedback, to the final model.

George

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

It does look better on the last pictures. Hard to tell until you get the stripes on for the Lemans cars. Hiro does do a good job on some of the kits, but miss on others. Tires are a real weak point with a lot of them over simplified and the wrong size with no tire size lettering and numbers almost ever on the sidewalls. Maybe they do need some outside feedback before putting them in production as gtziaf said.

I think we all agree that we like what they are doing, they just have to take more care at doing it right. More parts do not make a great kit, accurate detail make a great kit

willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Post by willster127 »

Yeah, looks wrong at the back to me too, as others have said the tires seem too low profile, wheels look a bit too big to me too to make up for that. Outside of the wheel arch is flat and not curved.

The other thing that is way off on the rear view is the opening width and the size of the turbo. The turbo on these things always looks HUGE back there and on the model it looks tiny in the opening, compare the top of the turbo height to the top of the distributor.

I'm not a Porsche guy so my money is safe, still holding out hope for an Auto Union Type C!!!!!!!!!