New MFH 1/12 kit for April - Daytona

For all F1 scale model news...

Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: New MFH 1/12 kit for April - Daytona

Post by Dino »

Well, I tried to delete that post after i saw MFH put two shapes of rear flares in the kit, good for them.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I am so tempted to cancel my order for Daytona's. They messed up the nose and the tires are really wrong. They seem to keep making the same mistakes on their kits and don't listen when people point them out. I am sure someone like Top Marques will do this car curbside in 1/12th and we already have a kit with a master by AMR wich I am starting to think is better than the Hiro. Atleast Top Marques do pretty good wheels and bodies but they do mess up markings wich I can have corrected with a new decal sheet.

To MFH and all the KoolAid drinkers, for the prices they change now they need to do better on the BIG details like tires and body shape. Don't just build them out of the box wrong, complain to them when they mess up.

There are several good resin pre made companies from Asia that do 1/12th pre built that will eat Hiro alive in a few years if they do not get their sh-t together. Not enough kit builder left to save them if they screw up the quality.
Last edited by F1tommy on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

I am not so deep into Ferrari that I could say it's out of shape or not.
But I guess there output is too fast to provide mistakes. There is not much time to design a model and redone wrong parts. With the loss of the Ferrari license they have to make as much as possible before its over.

I know they are still the best at the market, by far. But they can do it better and that's the point.
The models are far from being cheap, so they have to be better.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

capri-schorsch wrote:I am not so deep into Ferrari that I could say it's out of shape or not.
But I guess there output is too fast to provide mistakes. There is not much time to design a model and redone wrong parts. With the loss of the Ferrari license they have to make as much as possible before its over.

I know they are still the best at the market, by far. But they can do it better and that's the point.
The models are far from being cheap, so they have to be better.
My thinking as well, when they started 1:12 kits, it was realy impressing how detailed these kits have been, over the time the quality sunk, less machined and etched parts, and many molded in details which should have been done seperated. The resin castings are realy good, metal castings could be improved but the less of machined parts and to switch on self done decals and going away from Cartograph has not been a good move to the quality of the kits. As the Daytona is not my cup of tea, i have no problem to miss it.

Come on Christian, it`s your turn! :) They could learn from you in quality-price level!
Take a stand!

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Oh no way. It's miles away from what I do.
It's Fred Flintstone racing against modern F1. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

As some others I know have pointed out, Hiro does do full detail models where as Top Marques and most of other resin 1/12th model makers mainly do curbside hand builts . Having said that Hiro needs to improve their tires and do their bodies more by hand. They are really making some unwanted mistakes lately.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Taken from the profile photo here: https://girardo.com/available/1971-ferr ... onversion/

With the two images overlaid (centred on the wheels), the front is off around the headlights and it looks like the whole thing is too low, particularly from the windscreen back. Interestingly, the back wheels are pretty close. The fronts are noticeably skinny, but the wheel opening is similarly undersized so the fender gap is about the same. Kind of a surprise, as my first thought looking at the MFH pic was that it seemed like they put 1/25 wheels on a 1/24 car.

If we overlay the images centred more on the body, there's still a definite problem with the slope up front; the roof line is still low and the back end is too high off the ground. Also, the vents behind the windows are too pointed, which kind of throws off the look.

Of course, usual caveats about focal length, parallax and the like, but it may serve as a useful comparison.
Je ne regrette rien.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Compelling but flawed consensus as that is a restored car with different tires. Never do your research off restored cars other than for small details. The tires on the restored car are not the original type and they are to small especially on the rear tires. I think Hiro is using restored cars for 99 % of their measurements and that is where the problems start. The problem for a lot of restored cars is high side profile race tires are hard to find. If they track them newer style lower profile tires work better. Back in 1972 they did not have that option, just big fat tall slicks/rain tires made by Good Year and Michelin.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Did anyone notice the wire wheel construction on the 1/9th 1948 Panhead bike? They changed the wire insert construction compared to the 1/12th wires. It looks like they would be much easier to assemble if they changed the Borrani's to that style.

By the way here is a link to the AMR Titan Daytona in 1/12th scale. I do not like a lot of things about this model but they did make the tires tall enough looking although to square. No low profile tires here.

http://cicogallery.blogspot.com/2012/05 ... titan.html

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Well its listed as out, and it is expensive. I will cancel part of my order and only order one due to the inaccuracies with the kit. I think one of the resin model companies will do this in 1/12th scale as a built up. At that time I will custom make decals for it. Im tired of Hiro's big and important mistakes.