acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Donnington Collection & Modern F1

Post by acer709 »

Donnington Park F1 collection is no longer I found this closed late November and sadly the owners MSV Jonathan Palmers group decided in their great wisdom to finish off what was left and completely p... s off every F1 enthusiast because it didn't fit in with their plans!
What a waste and travesty in getting rid of truly iconic F1 cars never to be repeated.
Tom Wheatcroft collection built up over his lifetime was a true inspiration and an admirable decision to share his collection with the public,
Thanks Tom!
Kevin Wheatcroft sold the lease to MSV for 21yrs,and MSV kept it open for a year 2017!
On the day of closure the private cars were collected and the F1 Team cars also!
He stated that the rest of the cars would be stored and it was his and the families decision of what to do with them.
As he had an interest in military vehicles, we can only guess what will happen!
The only other F1 collection as we know is at Biggin Hill Airport in a secretive warehouse owned by a certain
Mr. Eccleston who also owns the actual airport.
This collection one would hope would be displayed for F1 fans but alas we all know this is never going to happen!
I might have to go out and start a collection and preserve it through English Heritage so no dope can sell them all off or hide them!
This follows with the spectator decline of F1because of pay TV.
Numbers in Italy dropped completely off the scale because its all pay for coverage.
UK has changed the coverage and will probably go the same way.
I used to look forward and be excited
to view Saturday morning qualifying in the 90's and even earlier 2000's.
The race on Sunday was normally exciting and full of drama!
But F1 is not the same the cars are not as quick and the sound of the engines are quite soft, the drivers are boring.
Is it because of the Hybrid system or because they have made it too safe?
When you look at Mansell's FW14B chasing Senna's Mclaren at Monaco you can see my point.
I wish they bring back Murray Walker instead of Coulthard monochromatic buddies someone who will give insight and enthusiasm to the viewers.
I still have a passion for F1 but feel it need a facelift.
The great Enzo Ferrari always preferred the V12 engine in his cars because it's the sound the passion of Ferrari and most of all he realised it was entertaining to the audience.
My last race at Monza 2017was very different to Monaco 2012 the sound was almost non existent!
We could hear the cars going around from getting off at the train station but at Monza the GP2 cars were noisier than the F1!
Please bring back the cars,drivers and decent commentators. 8)

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Donnington Collection & Modern F1

Post by daveyman »

Was it all down to MSV closing the collection? I read that Kevin Wheatcroft had to close it for financial reasons. Don't know how true that is. It must have cost a bit to keep open, Tom could maybe justify indulging himself by keeping it open regardless but a new business wouldn't have the same attachment.
As for your comments on the current state of F1, I largely agree but I don't see forcing Murray Walker behind the microphone as a long term solution sadly. Iconic legend he may be but he's not immortal, unless I'm much mistaken...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

daveyman wrote: Iconic legend he may be but he's not immortal, unless I'm much mistaken...
Well, anything could happen and it usually does 8) :wink:

Yes, to say it fast, the Donnington thing, a true shame.
I guess some (local, regional, state) UK authority should have acted, some public funds... maybe British Museum?
About F1... wow such a long debate. Things dn't stay the same, neither do we as observers. Is "Down the road wherever" as good as "Love over gold" :roll:
OK, let's face it: Bike racing stays mainly the same, as Springsteen, Rolling Stones, and Jerry Lee Lewis. :lol: there's still hope!!!

ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

Surely with all the money in F1 there ought to be an "official" F1 museum somewhere along the lines of the baseball or NFL museums in the States?

This should tell the story of F1 from its early days and take exhibits from teams past and present along with personal memorabilia from drivers etc. I know most current teams have their corporate museums but these are not usually accessible.

If Liberty want to promote the brand this could be one way of doing it and maybe making it a family friendly theme park (I know I cringed when I wrote it but...) it could generate income and enthusiasm. Imagine an IMax theatre playing classic F1 clips, demonstration starts of classic cars etc.

Donnington was good and one mans passion, the sport deserves a modern presentation of its heritage.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I appreciate the desire for the museum. However it has to work financially.

Topic author
acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Thanks for the comments Guys
really appreciate it and some very
constructive ideas.
I agree a modern F1 museum that covers the era's from past to present is needed and would encourage great interest.
8)

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

acer709 wrote:Thanks for the comments Guys
really appreciate it and some very
constructive ideas.
I agree a modern F1 museum that covers the era's from past to present is needed and would encourage great interest.
8)
Such museum should be created in those few countries where F1 has strong roots at least, UK, Italy, Germany and France. It's a disgrace that that such places are "dying" at such a fast pace.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

I was also very dissapointed that I never had the chance to visit the Donnington collection. It was always on my to-do list and now it's gone.
I think the problem the Donnington Collection had was it's new owner. After reading this article it's pretty obvious were all that money goes to.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... jnc1w9cqzE

But 'I think if someone gets that F1 collection from his father there is some kind of responsibility that goes with.

Another thing I don't understand is why does not every F1, Racecarteam has it's own little museum. They build those multimillion fancy superduper factorys so I think there should be some money to have a space to show some cars, have a little shop etc pp....Not everybody needs a museum like Audi, Porsche, Mercedes but how a bout a little space to show some cars...

In cologne we have that new schumacher collection. Around 10-20 Cars, overalls and helmets and that doesn't take to much space. OK I personally think it's a little boring because with modern cars it's only plastic that is visible :)
But I have to confess the last time I was there it really touched me to see his whole career and that dragic end...
OK I live in Schumiland and that makes it a little psecia..maybe. He and his brother was born 1km from my home. His parents Racetrack is 15 minutes away. The place were he and Ralf grew up and I saw him multiple times when he visited his Indorr Kartcenter. It was funny. I was there very often and suddenly a Maserati (he didn't drover Ferrari ;)) parked in front of the door little Schumi jumped out and some time later he drove off...

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I went to Donington may times and went on a pilgrimage the last weekend it was open. All Macs and many other cars had gone by then but it was still a wonderful morning out. Many was the time I was the only one there and would walk across the ropes and take photos inside cockpits, into sidepods and around suspension parts!

At Silverstone last year there was a handout indicating that there is an intention to build a "heritage" centre there and it did strike me at the time that there would be the perfect place to re-site a proper F1 museum. Have heard no news since then however.

At least one can regularly see cars from the Cosworth era fighting again at Historic meetings (and very often they are "exposed" for all to see in the pits and paddock).

ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

The idea of a heritage centre is a good one, if it was along the lines of the IWM at Duxford with restoration and preparation shops, a museum and the track to run the cars, easily accessible and visitor friendly. Locate it at Silverstone with most of the current team HQ's nearby and it's the perfect location.
Historic F1 racing is a big draw these days with wealthy owners keen to show off their cars, it feels like a good time to do this.