PLASTIC Upcoming F1 Releases 2019

For all F1 scale model news...

Lloyd
F2
F2

Re: PLASTIC Upcoming F1 Releases 2019

Post by Lloyd »

I am so over HLJ since they changed their site a couple years ago, nothing is easy to fiind anymore .
Lost me as a customer, hobby easy filled the void but still not the easiest to find things on

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

lvndeva wrote:Holy moly. Spotmodel has the Tamiya Leyton House CG901 in stock!!!! I just got 1. Maybe ill get another 1.
:mrgreen:
I allways the this mysterious Kit in shops and Ebay selling like hot cakes. What is the point of interest in this kit? In my point of view: unfamous car, unfamous drivers, boring lacking and an plain kit. have I overseen anything?

Marcel

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

The car is quite beautifully engineered and it was the predecessor of the FW14 concept - which can be seen in the body shape and proportions. Newey designed both. If I'm not mistaken, it was also one of the first F1 cars that used the front tub as the exterior of the car in one moulding, there was no separate bodywork that was lowered over the carbon tub like in the MP4/4, 5, 6, etc...

The cockpit was extremely tight for the driver, I remember seeing somewhere that the pedal box was barely large enough for feet. And so, even though it under-performed due to lack of power, the car itself was sort of the grandfather of the most successful cars back in the 90's.

Plus, it's sort of a cool color and cool look in my opinion.

Best,
AJ

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I know it's subjective but the Leyton House is an absolute beauty in my eyes and, yes, it was an important car technically because of the Adrian Newey design as already mentioned. I loved the era when Tamiya released mid grid cars, far more interesting then just another red car because they know it'll sell.

Lloyd
F2
F2

Post by Lloyd »

Ditto on that

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

I agree with that and would like to add another point:
The race history:
At the Mexican Grand Prix both drivers failed to qualify. Then at the following race at France both were suddenly and unexpectedly fighting for the win.
I can't think of any other occasion were such a jump to the top was made in just two weeks, which also gives the Leyton House a special place in F1 history.

Eric1968
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Eric Evain
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
France

Post by Eric1968 »

If I well remember, the Leyton House was very sensitive about the track condition because the aerodynamic of the car was very sharp. The mexican track was very "bumpy" instead of Le Castellet which was very smooth. I do remember it was the explaination of the performance jump.

59hrld
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alan jones
Netherlands

Post by 59hrld »

Going from not qualified (Detroit GP) to win was also done by nelson Piquet Canadian grand prix.... within 7 days.....
But March nee Leyton house is still something special....

Richard

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

According to Newey's book, Ivan Capelli was trying to do the race on one set of tyres whilst Alain Prost stopped at half way and was catching back up as teh race neared its conclusion. Capelli had lost a wing mirror and wasnt able to counter Prost's move on him a lap or two before the end but reckoned if he could have seen him coming he could have countered the move and won the race.

The irony was that Newey had already left the team after an argument and was on his way to Williams and as has been pointed out, the FW14 was basically a development of the March - with a bit more room for Mr Mansell's feet! It also had a better engine and Active Suspension....

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

What Marcel can say is that you cannot underrate a car lightly without the f1m history board telling you (kindly, and servicely as usual) wrong :D
Ye, agree with almost all said.
Some remars though. No, Alan, (AJP) the trend of "Tub=body" was rather veteran by that time. Lotus made already something similar with the 87 in 1981, but truly the first one was (another "minor" team) ATS with their D6, 7 years before the CG901. The JS21 also was almost "nude". Similar to Tyrrell's 012 (well, and 11)
Rapidly Ferrari (mid season 1983) and then a few more like Renault, Ligier, etc.

Yes the story of that '90 French GP is one of those you remember, and also nice nowing further details years later.

Great recoveries? my favourite one is within just a day: from struggling to qualify to a 1-2 headed by Wattie for McLaren at Long Beach '83.

Piquet at Detroit, then at Canada, aahh, yes, great. And again two tracks as different as they come. I remember Piquet saying that "taming the BMW power at Detroit was like trying to fly a remote control helicopter model at my dining room".

Last but not least, FW14 was already magnificent even without the active suspension, that wasn't there yet. :wink:
It came with next year's B spec.
It's curious, under our nineties POV, we consider the FW14 and the March as almost the same (even if they were, if you start to compare measures, quite different) while for today's standards we would not notice so much their lookalikenes...
Yes, there was more fantasy those days.