View topic - Paint stripping discovery?

Paint stripping discovery?

Post your best modeling tips here.

Re: Paint stripping discovery?

Postby robdebie » Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm

M.Chriss wrote:Could you post a photo of how you suspended it in the hydrosonic cleaner? I have the same kit I want to strip. I found 2 lbs of sodium hydroxide on amazon for $13.

Yes, I can, but it will take a few days, off to Spa in the weekend :D

Maybe a written description will do in the mean time: I fill the ultrasonic cleaner with water, suspend the metal wire basket in it, and inside the basket I place a plastic (or glass) rectangular container that contains the NaOH. The latter can be some throw-away packaging, or an old food container. Anything will do. I guess you could leave out the wire basket too, that's just there to prevent parts touching the walls directly, and the plastic container will fulfil that role too.

2 lbs will be plenty :D I used a liquid drain cleaner, and the packaging says it's a 5-15% NaOH solution - I take that as 10%.

Rob
robdebie
F3
F3

Favorite F1 Team: None

Postby PeteJ » Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Just an aside, sodium hydroxide is also the primary active ingredient in Super Clean or Purple power, which is my go to for paint striping.
PeteJ
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Favorite F1 Team: <p>Lotus</p><p>American Eagle</p><p>Ferrari</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Postby robdebie » Tue May 21, 2019 4:12 pm

M.Chriss wrote:Could you post a photo of how you suspended it in the hydrosonic cleaner? I have the same kit I want to strip. I found 2 lbs of sodium hydroxide on amazon for $13.

As promised some photos of the setup.

Shown below are the two main ingredients: sodium hydroxide (NaOH, lye and caustic soda in the US) and an ultrasonic cleaner. I used a drain opener that is a solution of approximately 10% NaOH in water and probably nothing else. I diluted it further down by adding water, to maybe 5%.

From what I read, stainless steel is not attacked by NaOH below 65C, but still I put the NaOH solution a separate plastic container, suspended in the metal wire basket that comes with the ultrasonic cleaner. There are no liquids in the photo, I did not want to get my photo set-up wet!

I think the wire basket can be left out, with the plastic container with NaOH solution directly in the water of the ultrasonic cleaner.

That's about it, I can't think of more to tell. Try it yourself, that's always the best way to learn something new.

Warning: be careful with NaOH! Your eyes are at risk, use safety glasses. Gloves are recommended too, otherwise your skin will start to feel greasy and slippery, because it's slowly dissolving! A great way to get rid of your fingerprints :-)

Rob
robdebie
F3
F3

Favorite F1 Team: None

Postby M.Chriss » Tue May 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks, I ordered some from amazon. I have some plastic computer parts to strip also. Using some painting skill on my PC.
Michael Chriss
M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield

Previous

Return to Tips and Hints