SimonaModelismo
F2
F2
Your Name: Simon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Argentina

Wheatering F1 Seats ??

Post by SimonaModelismo »

I would like to know if someone has a link (tutorial) or better still, photos of F1 seats from the 70s / 80s as a reference material.
I'm putting together some kits (soon on WIPs), Hunt's M23 right now, And I would like to give the cockpit and seat a more "wear" appearance.
I do not know how to age it. I mean, would it be dirtier in the contact parts with the pilot (darker)? Or the leather or suede would be clearer in those parts? (For the wear suffered)
Any advice or photo would be of great help to me! Thank you!
Simon!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Wheatering F1 Seats ??

Post by daniel »

I don't have any pictures of period pictures at hand but weathering is always a good idea to make it a little more realistic.
Here's a technique I recently tried and I think it looks great. Adds a lot of detail. Simply plastered with Tamiya tape, covered is semigloss black and rubbed down with some white pastels. I like pastels becasue you can easily remove it when something went wrong. I applied it heavier in the centre of the seat...

What I think is even more important then weathering is a nice look of the actual seat. Here I used flour to cover the seat. It's 1/24 but would look much better in 1/12. Today I use microballons for smallers scales because flour is a little to coarse but looks still nice a real.

This technique works also very well when you add some light and dark pastels. But this time I would apply it with a brush not rub down with a finger. I would use darker colors were the "bum" is and lighter colors around edges. I simply scratch down some pastel powder with a knife and then rub it down with my finger or brush....btw also if you use brown pastels it's perfect for rust because it dries complety matt.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
SimonaModelismo
F2
F2
Your Name: Simon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Argentina

Post by SimonaModelismo »

Nice tips!!

What car does the seat of the first picture belong to?

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Lotus 88b MFH... don't know if that is correct because it's very hard to find period detail pictures ...

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details