Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Mixing epoxy

Post by Malcolm »

OK - this isn't exactly rocket science, but one of the things I hated for years was squeezing the metal tubes of epoxy to get the miniscule amount needed and then getting epoxy on the thread. And despite my best efforts to clean up, some always stayed there and two weeks later it was almost impossible to get the lid off without seriously deforming the tube.

So my new technique is that every time I need to mix some epoxy, I take a new wooden cocktail stick, break it in two and dip one end in each tube - I've then got my disposable mixer and applicator ready to hand.

For me at least, that has made a nasty job much better.

Tip no 2 (from a bad experience today). The tubes of Tamiya polish and white putty are too similar in my view. I don't suppose I need to tell anyone what I've just done …

I'm just off to get some red for danger tape to put on the putty tube to warn me never to try polishing my car with it again.

Sigh … back to the spray booth!

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Re: Mixing epoxy

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Sorry to hear about your putty accident, I think we've all got a story like that. Mine was when I wasn't looking at the labels and lathered a freshly decaled body with cement instead of softener.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

ouch, sorry to hear both accounts!

Joe.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

I've messed up micro set and decal film before, promptly painting decal film onto a freshly polished surface. I've since painted that bottle cap red!

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I just have one of those dispenser types for epoxy. Just remove the lid and press the plunger for equal amounts. Mix and away you go. Very convenient..
Steve Noble

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

SteveNoble wrote:I just have one of those dispenser types for epoxy. Just remove the lid and press the plunger for equal amounts. Mix and away you go. Very convenient..
+ 1 :D :D :D
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

fooesboy
F2
F2

Post by fooesboy »

SteveNoble wrote:I just have one of those dispenser types for epoxy. Just remove the lid and press the plunger for equal amounts. Mix and away you go. Very convenient..
I have never seen a hobby sized dispenser, do you mind sharing a photo or info on where to get one from?

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Steve Noble

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

All good advice! Thanks for that, Malcolm!

Yes, foil metal epoxy glue tubes are a pain, aren't they. There's not only the problems you point out, Malcolm -- has anyone else noticed that they leak/ ooze glue from around the cap, when it gets hot in summer?

And yes, Tamiya polishes do look too-much alike. Been there, done that too. I was polishing a part a couple months ago, and noticed it was getting duller, not shinier, when the penny dropped.

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

The 'funny' thing is that I started to polish the putty out and thought to myself - boy, this is dry - must be because it's so hot here today - so I actually put some more on - it was only then that I realised what I was doing.

Not sure if I'm same to be let out sometimes ..

And yes, I have noticed that the epoxy starts to seep out from around the caps when it's hot - I thought it was that I had not been careful enough to start with - perhaps I should store it in the fridge - but then again if Mrs Clark found me doing that, it would bring about a whole new level of grief!