Why the hell Gravity Color interchange bottles for 2K Clear

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Why the hell Gravity Color interchange bottles for 2K Clear

Post by danibear »

Just experienced a total disaster.... with Gravity Color 2K clear set.....

First of all, GC 2K clear set is the best I have ever used, you mix gloss clear + activator + thinner by 3:1:1. But why the hell GC interchange bottles for activator and thinner?????... :evil:

They usually use a dark green bottle for activator which makes sense because dark bottles are for unstable chemicals, but I just realized the dark bottle I just used as "activator" is actually thinner.......... :twisted: so damn stupid. why....... so misleading.... especially when I have stocked so many bottles in the box...

Now, my entire-year Enzo double build is ruined..... my heart broken.... even felt stomachache when I saw the dark green bottle labelled as "thinner".

Again, so damn stupid, so damn misleading...... my entire-year project is ruined....countless time and patience.... now ruined....I cried....

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Why the hell Gravity Color interchange bottles for 2K Cl

Post by SteveNoble »

Feel your pain. Never used Gravity Colours paints or clear coat, but if it's like Zero stuff the activator/hardener is always a lot thicker than the thinner...
Steve Noble

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Sympathies - I think many of us have had similar "ruined at the last moment" stories... Many years ago I sprayed some wax onto my almost-finished model for the final polish of the body, except I had accidentally grabbed the spraycan of primer, not wax...

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

You've got my sympathies as well. That's gut-wrenching...

If it's any consolation, like Jeff, I've grabbed the wrong spray can too. Why do we make mistakes like that...

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

SteveNoble wrote:Feel your pain. Never used Gravity Colours paints or clear coat, but if it's like Zero stuff the activator/hardener is always a lot thicker than the thinner...
Thanks Steve, I used Zero before so I know what you are talking about. In GC 2K clear set, the activator/hardener is as thin as its thinner, so you can't tell the difference from viscosity.

I quit Zero and chose GC, because Zero hardener is hard to store, whenever you use half bottle and the rest half slowly hardens itself. GC's activator/hardener is much more stable. I dump all my paints in several Lock&Lock in my garage. In Louisiana, garage temperature can reach 90 F in summer time, and I just experienced the coldest winter here, the garage reaches 30F....
But all my paints including GC is still alive, GC 2K clear set is very stable indeed. I truly like GC paints, guess I need to be more careful next time.

PS: I have a Chemical Engineering master degree from LSU, and am a licensed Louisiana Principal Engineer PE in chemical. According to my knowledge, what GC did to interchange bottles for activator and thinner breaks regulation, even labelling is correct. Because GC used dark bottle for thinner which is stable and doesn't require that, and the dark green bottle is identical for activator. Misleading people. Actually one Formosa plant got an explosion by this kind of misleading.
Last edited by danibear on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Jeff wrote:Sympathies - I think many of us have had similar "ruined at the last moment" stories... Many years ago I sprayed some wax onto my almost-finished model for the final polish of the body, except I had accidentally grabbed the spraycan of primer, not wax...
I feel better.... I sucked the "dark energy" from your sad story.... :P

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Eagle50 wrote:You've got my sympathies as well. That's gut-wrenching...

If it's any consolation, like Jeff, I've grabbed the wrong spray can too. Why do we make mistakes like that...
Thank you man, I probably know the reason in my case: the time window for spray is narrow, I need to wait till around 3 pm for the optimal temperature and humidity (at least < 65%) . Also, I have a wife to dealing with.......and I need to cook in weekends according to our agreement.... :D

I was in a quite hurry..... who could think of the problem with the bottles, this was the first to me, never experienced that before.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

You know I looked at this last night when you posted it and was confused, just as I am now. You say the mix ratio is 3:1:1 which indicates to me that there are equal parts thinner and hardener. So whats the problem???

As a side note I have a friend who years ago mixed his paint to the wrong ratio and after many days in a heated box the paint did dry. Maybe some patients is required before you start over.

None the less I feel your frustration. Though I have never been in your situation I know it would be hard to deal with if it happened to me.

Merry Christmas all the same and wishing all the best for the New Year,

:D :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

That's what I couldn't understand too Derek.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Icon_Modeler wrote:You know I looked at this last night when you posted it and was confused, just as I am now. You say the mix ratio is 3:1:1 which indicates to me that there are equal parts thinner and hardener. So whats the problem???

As a side note I have a friend who years ago mixed his paint to the wrong ratio and after many days in a heated box the paint did dry. Maybe some patients is required before you start over.

None the less I feel your frustration. Though I have never been in your situation I know it would be hard to deal with if it happened to me.

Merry Christmas all the same and wishing all the best for the New Year,

:D :D :D
Thank you, Derek.

Normal ratio is: gloss clear + hardened + thinner = 3 +1 + 1.

My problem is I actually used: gloss clear + thinner = 3+2. Because I thought I added 1 ratio of hardener, but as I said it is actually thinner. So, I actually added 2 ratio of thinner, but no hardener.

Thank you again for the kindness, Derek. But my parts were totally ruinned.too
Much thinner, too hot. All carbon decals beneath were ruinned.