jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Simulate Suede Tip

Post by jaws »

Hello Everyone I have been trying to find a good way to simulate suede for seats.
Currently working on the RB6 Red Bull and wanted to find a way to enhance the appearance of the seat.
Did a test and have to say I am happy with the results AND wanted to share it with you.
See full test report below!

Steps taken in Test for RED Bull Blue seat.
Goal to create a suede effect.
By Jeff Wallen 10-2017

Need to have a suede effect on a seat. Aftermarket items are too thick and look out of scale for a 1/20th scale model. Not to mention it just doesn’t look right. Simply painting with a flat paint per instructions is less than ideal.
After seeing several videos on YouTube for weathering armor and using pastels and pigments, I thought there was potential in creating a suede texture and effect. Had also seen videos in homes to create a suede effect on a wall. Both of these options are the basis for this test.

Our goal is to create a suede effect on a spoon in this test.

Tools needed
• Plastic Spoon
• Various shades of Blue pastels
• Knife
• XF-8 Tamiya Flat Blue
• X-20 Tamiya Acrylic Thinner
• Various paint brushes
• Eye dropper
• Small dish to hold pastel shavings
• Surgical gloves

Test Steps
1. Base coat of Tamiya XF-8 paint applied to spoon and let dry
2. With a knife shave off medium blue pastel into dish
3. Using a soft brush applied generous amount of pastel to the spoon (DRY)
4. With eye dropper carefully added X-20 thinner onto the spoon. We need to be careful not to disturb the pastels as much as possible. This step will “FIX” the pastels to the surface giving texture to the surface
NOTE I was using Pastels because that is what I had. Pigments would be another option and may produce the same effect.
5. Used a hair dryer to speed up the drying. Results look very promising at this stage. The surface texture was fairly consistent. Any large chunks were easily removed.
Next we want to add some depth and variation using different shades of blue pastels
6. Shaved a lighter shade of pastel into the dish
7. Using a small stiff brush I used a crossing or X stroke to add in the dry pastel. The X stroke was key in giving us the effect of random color variations on the surface. This stroke was used in a home painting video I saw to give a suede effect on a wall!
8. With a large soft brush I blended in the pastel applied very lightly and removed any loos pastels
9. Time for the 3rd color of pastel. This time I went with a slightly purple tone instead of blue. Using a small brush I dabbed randomly onto the surface. Goal here is to add variations of color.
10. Final blending with a large soft brush was done.
Results and notes to add

Several tests were done before I came up with this draft.
1st test done was just using pastels on the painted spoon. Did not do step 4 to apply a fixer.
The X stroke used was effective but I didn’t have the texture on the surface I was looking for.
Having the textured surface added much more depth and realism.
More on Step 4 and applying the fixer.
It was difficult not to disturb the pigments applied. Originally tried to wet the surface and then apply the pigment. Loaded up the paint brush and tried to flick the pastel onto the wet surface. Mixed results. Then reversed the process as noted in a Tank Art book from Rinaldi Studio Press.
It was easy to make corrections if you had a big chunk on the surface once dry.
Products used where what I had on hand. If you have other products such as a dedicated pigment fixer that will work fine. And yes pigments will do just as well if not better than pastels. Do know if you do not like the results it is easy to remove with water and start over.

Testing is MOST Important

Cannot stress enough about how important it is to TEST. Plastic spoons offer a fantastic canvas to test with. Anytime you have a new product or new technique TEST. You don’t want to test something new on your model. You need to know how a product reacts and be comfortable with its’ application BEFORE you use it on your model. Personally spend more time researching and Testing than I do actually building a model. But in the end I limit my mistakes and know “what & why” I use a tool, product or technique. We all have had that project stall and end up being a shelf queen never finished because things went wrong. Or purchased a product that didn’t produce the results we hope for.
TEST TEST TEST and Test again to become better at the craft of scale modeling.

Final Thoughts

I had a lot of fun looking on You Tube for ideas. All started from seeing mud applied to a tank. This gave me the idea of adding texture. Then watching more videos for home improvement, I found a video on how to paint a wall with a suede appearance. Base color was applied and a second color was added using a X stroke. Walla I combined the two in this test.
I think the overall effects achieved will be perfect for the Formula 1 car I am building that has a suede blue seat. Adding in the seat belts and carbon fiber accents should look fantastic.
Using techniques from other genres such as Armor can be used on automotive subjects given you look outside the box. Automotive, Armor, Air Craft, SCI-Fi, no matter it is all modeling with different techniques that can open doors to adding that something special to your model project.
Attachments
Step1 Base color
Step1 Base color
final look
final look

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Simulate Suede Tip

Post by daniel »

Nice technique.

http://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=18602.45

I use flour for the gt-one seat. Just added a thick layer of slow curing paint and poured the flour on it. Excess was carefully wiped of. Another thick layer and that's it.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

dancraft
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by dancraft »

Looks good,

Or you could use this stuff.

I have it in several different shades of grey and beige..... but it can easily be sprayed over with acrylic to make any colour you like.
It gives a consistant, even finish, takes seconds to apply and you can vary the effect/scale by dusting a few quick light coats on or applying it wetter for a coarser grain.

I believe Scale Motorsport also market a similar product, but I haven't tried it yet.

Regards,

Dan

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I discovered a method accidentally sometime ago.

I was spraying a matt color for hull of the battleship Tirpitz. I spray the paint too thick and too far. It creates a very rough matt surface that can be used as a suede surface for small scale. I think by varying the thickness of the paint and distance, different roughness can be achieved.
C K
Canada

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Yeah... What he does^^^^^^^^^^^^
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

Topic author
jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Post by jaws »

Interesting variations to this task! I had also tried the textured paint and felt it was too thick for the scale size.
Do have to mention the picture I posted does not really give you the full effect in the different shades and tones of blue.
You all have given me some more thoughts on how to do suede. Good stuff for sure!!!
Thanks for more impute.

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

jaws wrote:Interesting variations to this task! I had also tried the textured paint and felt it was too thick for the scale size.
Do have to mention the picture I posted does not really give you the full effect in the different shades and tones of blue.
You all have given me some more thoughts on how to do suede. Good stuff for sure!!!
Thanks for more impute.
im·pute
imˈpyo͞ot/
verb
verb: impute; 3rd person present: imputes; past tense: imputed; past participle: imputed; gerund or present participle: imputing

represent (something, especially something undesirable) as being done, caused, or possessed by someone; attribute. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Jeff, I haven't been on here in a while, and I understand "impute" is an auto-correct error (input?), but I couldn't resist. Learning here as well as always, nonetheless. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

I normally use microballons over wet paint or glue then, repaint.

Had ok results from them so far.

dancraft
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by dancraft »

Here is an example of the Krylon "make it suede" on a McLaren F1 dash.

Regards,
Dan
Attachments
22490000_10210257834783880_3907022080655763756_n.jpg

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

dancraft wrote:Looks good,

Or you could use this stuff.

I have it in several different shades of grey and beige..... but it can easily be sprayed over with acrylic to make any colour you like.
It gives a consistant, even finish, takes seconds to apply and you can vary the effect/scale by dusting a few quick light coats on or applying it wetter for a coarser grain.

I believe Scale Motorsport also market a similar product, but I haven't tried it yet.

Regards,

Dan
Hi,
Can't find this paint. Anybody know where to find this in Europe or an alternative ?