Model Paint Safety Information

Post your best modeling tips here.

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Model Paint Safety Information

Post by hquednau »

I'm gonna give this post a bump since the last post was a year ago. Model building safety should be at the top of everyone's list. Sorry to sound like your mum, but many model paints, solvents and glues are highly toxic, and this thread is a good starting point. For the cost of ONE new MFH kit, you could have a proper spray booth and enjoy EVERY build a bit more. I have a simple booth with good CFM and explosion-proof motor. It means that when I want to airbrush, rattle-can or use oven-cleaner for chrome parts, I just flip a switch. This one addition to your workshop will dramatically speed up everything AND save your health. Happy modeling to all in 2017!

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Been looking for this thread thanks Hq! I had a question for you all. Due to my current set up, I have to airbrush/rattlecan outdoors. (not ideal at all) A while back I purchased a 3M dual cartridge respirator, and it works decently. However, i'm worried i'm still able to smell the fumes, especially say when i'm spraying Tamiya rattlecans. I've tightened it to my face and gone through the steps, but i'm still able to smell fumes. Am I doing something wrong? Sometime I've over tightened and that didn't help.
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Normaly it is unpossible to smell nothing of the paint, not even by using a wall paint in house, it is more the question if you breath in too much of it, and how much toxic is inside the smell. to smell it does not ultimately mean your getting hurt by it!
Take a stand!

Preludevenom
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by Preludevenom »

I use a spray booth! and a mask with particle filtres, both at the same time.
When i sand i always use a medical type mask for avoiding to inhale some resin or plastic dust etc....

It's a must have to everyone as your health is more important than everything!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Basicly you'll be always smelling, same wa that when you spray at home, a late arriving observator will still notice the smell even if dangerous vapours are long gone. Outdoors, with wind in the proper direction, you are well protected. I'd say it's even close to ideal setup...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Preludevenom wrote:I use a spray booth! and a mask with particle filtres, both at the same time.
When i sand i always use a medical type mask for avoiding to inhale some resin or plastic dust etc....

It's a must have to everyone as your health is more important than everything!

I`m using a spray booth too at my home, using a 3M Mask with particle filters infront and "Aktivkohlefilter" (how we call it in german) beyond, this sererates the toxic fumes, the same on my job as car painter.
But i have to say, and i`m working now for 23 years in this job, after all i have seen here written down about taking care of healthy, i think i must been dead for lowly 15 years!!
Not much will know about the toxic things that run on in the lately 80`s, or even the early 90`s! If i count all of it that i would be writing from the other side, maybe cloud N°7 or something like this, but not from my desktop!
I said it earlier, with the products actually on the market, with all it`s developement in the past 10 years, you don`t even can buy anywhere something like be used in the 90`s, not to talk about the 80`s!!
So don`t be set aside from yourself in thinking about this! To take care is everytime a good choice, but we are talking about a few minutes, and that not even each day! So what should i talk about when i do my job and use it mainly 8 hours each working day, and that for a decade of more than 20 years???
You will not be hurt so easy, for sure! :wink:
Take a stand!

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

I only spray outside (just rattle cans). Makes the hobby a bit difficult during winter, during rain, during wind, i.e. no painting on some days. But at least no particles in the air inside the house though the smell will still be there.

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

JamesB wrote:Basicly you'll be always smelling, same wa that when you spray at home, a late arriving observator will still notice the smell even if dangerous vapours are long gone. Outdoors, with wind in the proper direction, you are well protected. I'd say it's even close to ideal setup...
Agree with James- outdoors with a breeze is kind of what a spray booth is trying to duplicate.

I live in Minnesota, USA, where it is currently 2 degrees above zero f. It will stay cold until March, pretty much. I can't wait that long between models!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

hquednau wrote: I live in Minnesota, USA, where it is currently 2 degrees above zero f. It will stay cold until March, pretty much. I can't wait that long between models!
have a really much better weather, but the problem is most of us spaniards live in flats, :lol: apartments you know!! no backyards!!!

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

mobiusone wrote:Been looking for this thread thanks Hq! I had a question for you all. Due to my current set up, I have to airbrush/rattlecan outdoors. (not ideal at all) A while back I purchased a 3M dual cartridge respirator, and it works decently. However, i'm worried i'm still able to smell the fumes, especially say when i'm spraying Tamiya rattlecans. I've tightened it to my face and gone through the steps, but i'm still able to smell fumes. Am I doing something wrong? Sometime I've over tightened and that didn't help.
I also use the 3M dual cartridge respirator and I recently bought a new set of cartridges to replace the older ones. I do it once a year. Those things have expiration date and you can see and smell when it's time to replace them.

Maybe it's time for you to replace yours.

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA