Model Paint Safety Information

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Model Paint Safety Information

Post by Noddy »

Been bothering me for some time that 2 stage clear gets talked about all the time and nobody ever seems to mention the hazards of this stuff.

Two stage paints contain isocyanates - which are highly reactive organic chemicals. As an idea of how hazardous this stuff is the acceptable limit is .02ppm of air for short-term exposure.
That's two-hundredths of one unit of paint out of one million units of air.

Up until 1998 here in the United States their use in spray equipment required the use of forced-air breathing apparatus. This standard was revised due to the availability of filters suitable for organic chemicals on breathing masks. A suitable set of filters changed regularly on a properly fitting mask is now considered appropriate air filtration.

Warning signs of exposure to isocyanates include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, tightness of the chest, nausea, vomiting, and loss of consciousness. Eye and skin irritations are also signs of exposure. Repeated exposure results in sensitization to the chemicals and produces a condition known as isocyanate asthma which can be fatal. Skin contact causes irritation and kills tissue.

In plain language these chemicals are in your lungs to stay - the body is incapable of dissolving and removing them. They don't get flushed out and they are carcinogens. They are basically a sticky hard coating in the lungs reducing the body's ability to supply oxygen to your blood.

The minimum safety gear for working with 2 part paints should be a pair of goggles that seal against the face and are impermeable to organic chemicals, a one piece suit such as a hooded coverall made from Tyvek, a properly fitting and filtered air mask and butyl rubber gloves. It's essential that the air mask seals to the face and that the filters are the appropriate ones for organic chemicals and are changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Obviously any work with lacquers and 2 part paints needs to be performed in a paint booth with an explosion-proof fan motor and properly vented to the outdoors. Care should be taken so that there is no possibility of fumes or dust being conveyed to any other spaces.

As with any hazardous substance check the manufacturer or distributor for material safety data sheets which should be readily available. Google any chemical names for further information.

Zero Paints 2K Clearcoat Materials Safety Data Sheet (ZP-3006):
http://www.zero-paints.com/userfiles/do ... 06-MSD.pdf
Zero Paints 2K Hardener Materials Safety Data Sheet (ZP-3006):
http://www.zero-paints.com/userfiles/do ... 6a-MSD.pdf

keywords for search: isocyanate isocyanates toluene xylene monochlorobenzene diisocyanate methylene diphenyl diisocyanate Hexamethylene Diisocyanate
Last edited by Noddy on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Model Paint Safety Information

Post by alexpayne »

Noddy well said. I've been fighting a losing battle with my friends and fellow modellers over the dangers of 2k for years.
They always seem to listen to me but still go on using the stuff. The comments I get are " but I wear a mask!", "it's only a small amount", sure but as you point out most of us do not have the correct protective clothing and masks etc.
I did buy some 2k clear once, never got around to using it as my wife, who has been a nurse for the last 40 years, took one look at the bottles, read the ingredients, and then through them in the bin with the words to me " your not using that!", enough said.

Atb to all,AlexP.

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Thanks for the alert Noddy.

I never used 2k clear, and I am not planning on do it. I regularly check and replace my mask filters (once a year) and use other protection gears. Even so, sometimes I think I am not doing enough.

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Zero paints do supply a safety sheet with their 2 pack. I've used it a couple of times but after consideration I'm done with it. I have a proper extractor fan, mask etc but it's not worth it to me.
I am a farmer and I need a licence to apply pesticides and how to handle chemicals responsibly and it really bugs me that people don't necessarily understand the power of chemicals that they use in day to day living.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Thank you for the reminder. I bought 2K clear but haven't used it yet.
Let's face it many of the projects here that have used 2K look fantastic. I can see the appeal of using it. I would think if one uses an exhaust fan along with a mask and goggles that should be enough protection.

Do you think spraying 2K is far more dangerous than applying with a brush? Is it the fumes or is it the particulate that is the most dangerous?

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

I've been using 2k clear for some time now and think it gives the best result. Of course i took the neccesary precautions, when i renovated modeling room. I have a good extraction fan, which is explosion free and has an exit to outside. I also mist my spraybooth with water to prevent dustparticals getting into my models. I also wear good protection when i spray 2k clear. I know it's dangerous stuff, but ask a friend who is an automotive painter for advise, because she uses 2k clear all the time.
Best regards,
Lesley

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Must admit I've cut down on using it lately and been looking for an alternative. It's hard to find something better that's as easy to use though. The things I really like about it are that it's safe over every decal type I've tried it on and never caused any damage to them. It's easy to get a high gloss shine straight from the air brush and it doesn't sink. I find with other clears you spray them and they look great, then next morning it's sunk and the surface is all rough and needs clearing again, 2k doesn't do that.
Steve Noble

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Guy's,
The last thing I wish to do is stir up a "hornets nest", and I can see the appeal ( and the results of 2k) on models which is superb. A professional paint sprayer will have an air fed mask as well as the correct extraction method, we as modellers do not. It's up to you, but however good the finish is on the model is the health risk, and it's a big risk, worth it?

Atb to all Alex

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

All paints we use are dangerous. I have been sick for a week after inhaled Tamiya TS fumes without wearing a spraymask. I had a respiratory infection and had high fever. I never had fever before in my whole life. I have been using spraymasks ever since.
Best regards,
Lesley

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I think that your statement ist wright and wrong the same time Noddy, i work as professional Automotive painter (don`t know the exact word for it) for about 27 years now, but when i read this, i think i must be dead for years! But don`t worry, i`m still allive!
There are other colours, like the waterbased colours, which are much more agressive and causing health problems like the 2K paints! Most of the people are thinking that it is good for the nature etc, but to the health of those people which are working with it, it is extremly more dangerous!
Unfortunatly my english is not good enough to tell all the reasons why, but believe me, 2K is not as toxic as for example a waterbased colour!
I worked with the real hard stuff 20 years and more ago, but today and for more than 10 years, they are no more allowed to be used, they where taken from the market. Over the years the handling get`s better and the turned more safe, but it is a mess to think that a waterbased colour is not as danger as a 2K, it is much more dangerous if you breath this stuff.
To work with a mask, open window etc is allways a must if you want to take care of you when using paints.
Overall it is the quality of 2K why many people use it, especially the professionals. It will not shrink, did`nt loose it`s glossy shine, will not yellowed and many other reasons!
One thing on waterbased colours is, that it is a lie to me, cause you have to cover it with 2k, otherwise you can wipe it of with a wet towel or something like this.
I prefer 2K colours allways, use 1k only for a few special things where all the reasons i listed are not needed, but this is realy not much!
Take a stand!