F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

resize of images for forum

Post by Marcel »

Hello,
as known pictures are not allowed to be bigger than 250kb in this Forum. Pictures direct from the camera are allways a lot bigger. So I wan't to know which (freeware) software you use to convert multiple pictures in one time to a definated target size in a reasonable/representative dimension. I don't like to resize and cut every image by hand until I have the allowed size. (That's the reason why I do not publish pictures). So I hope there must be an easy way for this silly work.
Can someone help me.

Marcel

David-Ithaca-NY
F3
F3

Re: resize of images for forum

Post by David-Ithaca-NY »

I agree the 250kb size limit is crazy these days, I think I had to save at 30% quality to reach this limit. The forum loses a lot of photo fidelity at that limit. I understand the limit, but increasing it by 3-4 times would still be a modest file size.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

David-Ithaca-NY wrote:I agree the 250kb size limit is crazy these days, I think I had to save at 30% quality to reach this limit. The forum loses a lot of photo fidelity at that limit. I understand the limit, but increasing it by 3-4 times would still be a modest file size.
Better resize instead of lowering the quality. A good size/quality ratio is the key....or your own server to host pictures, then you can do what you want :)

Maybe a little over the top but you can do pretty much everything with it:

https://www.gimp.org/

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

One trick is to email your pics to yourself. When you send, it should ask if you want to resize your attachments. Still a bit annoying to do but it works.

2whl
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by 2whl »

I use IrfanView. You can do a batch resize to your settings with it. I usually use 800 x 600
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

A=12 B=0 C=25

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

The limit for sharing file sizes is largely to keep hosting costs down. Without a moderation process, people could easily take down the site if there wasn't a limit. I use Imgur to post my photos and don't lose any quality.

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Malcolm »

As it happens, I was looking for a batch image resizer for my wife last week and I wanted something that was not a part of another photo program. And I came across Microsoft PowerToys. There was a time when I used to download Powertoys on each PC that I built, but then forgot all about it and was surprised that it still existed.

Nevertheless, it does a good and simple job of image resizing (amongst other things).

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

daniel wrote:
David-Ithaca-NY wrote:I agree the 250kb size limit is crazy these days, I think I had to save at 30% quality to reach this limit. The forum loses a lot of photo fidelity at that limit. I understand the limit, but increasing it by 3-4 times would still be a modest file size.
Better resize instead of lowering the quality. A good size/quality ratio is the key....or your own server to host pictures, then you can do what you want :)

Maybe a little over the top but you can do pretty much everything with it:

https://www.gimp.org/
I have to agree with Daniel. Reducing size and keeping the pixel quality higher is the way to go. Just a quick look at a photo from my Pixel 3 camera in Photoshop(sorry no free version here) that the original image was 56" x 42" at a resolution of 72 ppi. That works out to an image size of 35m, way above the 250K limit. If I reduced the image down to 6" x 4.5 but increase the resolution to 100 I now have a 249K image size. Now granted you don't have a picture you can blow up to wall size, but a 6"X 4.5" at 100 res, will give you a very good photo for hear. That size photo will fill the frame on an average computer.

Granted, this is my phone with Photoshop on my computer, but it does generate some nice photos for the web. You will need to experiment a little to find out, but generally it is better the reduce the size instead of resolution.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

I use XnView to resize my pictures. Quick and easy to do. I make copy's that are 1200 pxl wide. There are no need to publish 4000+ wide pictures on a forum. They will not fit the screen and multiple pictures can take long time to open if you are on a slow machine.