1967 Lotus 49 // Jim Clark // Ebbro 1/20

Finished models...

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

1967 Lotus 49 // Jim Clark // Ebbro 1/20

Post by SebLeung »

It's complete! For some background I built this for my father as it's his favourite F1 car as it reminds him of his childhood. I bought this kit last year in Tokyo and only realized how rare it is these days after I started building it!

Took about a month to complete (these 60s cars are pretty fun to build - no CF, no wings, body panels only need to be painted on one side) and is mostly OOB. The only additions are fuel lines, 6 rivets in the cockpit, and a few simple wires behind the dashboard, and the name stickers on the sides of the front cowling. This build depicts Jim Clark's car at the 1967 US GP, and while the instructions would have you think that you're well equipped to build the car in this configuration, be aware that the kit does not supply the correct name stickers for the 1967 US GP, and also doesn't tell you that Jim Clark and Graham Hill had different oil-filler configurations for that race either. I also didn't find out until too late that the driver number on the front cowling should be closer towards the nose in later specification 49s. Other unique details about the 49 in the US GP configuration are body-coloured mirrors, the driver number circles on the sides of the car weren't cut off at the top like in other races, and the yellow TEAM LOTUS stripe did not continue toward the engine after the circle.

The biggest challenge of this kit for me was the final assembly, especially the front end of the car. The radiator & associated plumbing was particularly tricky. I'd say that this kit slots between Fujimi and Tamiya in terms of fit, but has more details and "features" than a typical Tamiya kit (e.g. different specs for different races). This kit also seems to be notorious for its ill-fitting front cowling, something that I was only able to mitigate rather than eliminate. I'm flying out for vacation today though and wanted to finish it up before leaving so I might revisit the front cowling some time in the future.

For more details about the build and challenges I faced, check out my WIP thread if you missed it!

****WIP THREAD****

Kit: Ebbro 1/20 1967 Lotus 49
Paints: Zero Paints Ebbro Lotus 49 paint set, Zero Paints 2K Diamond clear, Alclad metallics
Decals: Indycals US GP stickers

Feel free to ask me any questions about this kit in general or my build specifically! I'd be happy to answer.

Also some people were wondering about my photography setup. A few months ago I went on Amazon and got a diffused LED light panel that's meant for videographers to use as fill-lighting, and I also ordered a boom-arm that's meant for webcams, but crucially shares the same mount as the light panel. So now I have this big LED softbox-type lighting setup that has both brightness control and colour temperature control.

This is what it looks like when it's in "workshop mode"

For photos of completed models I take out my DSLR with a polarizing filter and lower the light closer to the model. I have a dollar store white poster board that I just clamp to the cutting board and unroll towards the back of my desk. Note the barcode sticker lol

Hope that helps!
http://www.f1modelling.com

rx-7
F2
F2

Re: 1967 Lotus 49 // Jim Clark // Ebbro 1/20

Post by rx-7 »

Great build and great photos!!

Jordan2.0
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Belgium

Post by Jordan2.0 »

Stunning ! Congrats !

Alex.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Great job! Love the explanation of the photos too.

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Seb, please don't take this as an insult to your build - as it is Beautiful...but one of the things that really makes
your 49b pop is those Ebbro tires! - The gold circle is laid out perfect on both sides of the tires and quite frankly, I don't think anyone of us could do a better job laying those on the tires if we had to do it ourselves!
Anyway, that is a fine job you did on your rare kit...I'm hoping I can find one for a reasonable price someday.
thanx again for sharing, Indygp2001

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

indygp2001 wrote:Seb, please don't take this as an insult to your build - as it is Beautiful...but one of the things that really makes
your 49b pop is those Ebbro tires! - The gold circle is laid out perfect on both sides of the tires and quite frankly, I don't think anyone of us could do a better job laying those on the tires if we had to do it ourselves!
Anyway, that is a fine job you did on your rare kit...I'm hoping I can find one for a reasonable price someday.
thanx again for sharing, Indygp2001
Hahahaha every time I see an MFH 60’s build here the builder always dreads those golden rings. I really must give those a try one day and see how bad they really are.

On a related note, I’d love to give the MFH version of this kit a go in the future.
http://www.f1modelling.com

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Magnificent!!!

baggen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Sweden

Post by baggen »

What a superb build!!! And the photos is absolutely great. And thank you for sharing the info about the building process.
This info will be highly appreciated by future builder of this kit (like me :D )!

Regards,

//Paul

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Nice work Seb, I understand the Ebbro 49 is a challenging build and the WIP you wrote highlights the challenges well. It would appear that slow and patient work is required in order to get the front end to fit properly, and I'm pleased you took the time to explain the steps needed to get it all together.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice and clean build! If you get managed to fix the front cowl it would be perfect! Good job on it!
Take a stand!