1993 Canon Williams Renault FW15C (1:20 S27).

Finished models...

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

1993 Canon Williams Renault FW15C (1:20 S27).

Post by KB78 »

Afternoon all,

This is the Car & driver combination that got me into motorsport. I had actually stumbled across Donnington '93 qualifying by accident expecting to see Mansell in the "Canon Car", I remember it took me time to realise that he wasn't in F1 anymore & had gone stateside. Regardless, the moment I saw the absolutely beautiful FW15C Piloted by a young Brit with an (almost) intimidating dark Blue Helmet I was hooked. To this day FW15C remains my favourite vehicle of all time (Road or Track). It's just so incredibly pretty, clean & yet utterly, devastatingly effective. Sandwiched by the game changing FW14B with the dramatic, theatrical Mansell at the Wheel & the tragic FW16, somehow FW15C almost seems to have been forgotten. Possibly due to the circumstances already mentioned & the understated, clinical way Prost went about the business of winning.

I had wanted a 1:20 Model of this since 1993 but there were none to be found. When a few did eventually appear all of them got the sidepod shape completely & utterly wrong. Eventually after many, many years I found that Studio 27 had manufactured one and it looked to be almost perfect.

It didn't come easy, I actually started this about 4-5 years ago but couldn't find the right shade of Yellow & was trying to ascertain out the correct hue by any means possible, none of these attempts yielded the correct shade but after a couple of years Gravity Paints started selling the correct 1993 Camel Yellow Paint (1992 is too bright whilst '93 is almost Mustard like). Other than that I found it to be a bit of a struggle. I found the rear suspension to be nightmarish & very awkward, all the Wishbones needed to be bent in order to fit. The front suspension, lower rear wishbone legs were roughly 3-4mm too long, the pushrods 2-3mm too short & alot of modification was required before it looked right. Despite my best (repeated) efforts the rear Wing still sits slightly too far rearwards & I "think" is slightly too large, either that or the rear of the Car is about 2mm longer than it should be? However with enough patience, tenacity & pure love, a tough(ish) Kit does eventually build into the detailed Model I have wanted for the last 26 years. It isn't based on any one particular race or qualifying session & I added MFH Seat Belts & Wet tyres with S27 Carbon Decal, Paints are a mixture of Zero Rothmans Blue, Gravity Williams Yellow & Halfords Gloss appliance white. Anyway, enough talk, here's a few Pics of my favourite Car, ever!
DSC07253 (1).jpg
DSC07256 (2).jpg
DSC07260 (3).jpg
DSC07251 (4).jpg
DSC07259 (To post).jpg
DSC07263 (To post).jpg
DSC07246 (To use).jpg

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Re: 1993 Canon Williams Renault FW15C (1:20 S27).

Post by KB78 »

A couple more.
DSC07244 (To use 850).jpg
DSC07245 (To use).jpg

Many thanks for looking. Hope that you enjoy.

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Beautiful job! Love the rain tires and paint job.
Congrats! 8)

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

Beautiful effort, you got the colors spot on, your hard work has been rewarded. Thank you for posting.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Wow, that is a real stunner!! You absolutely got the colours 100% spot on. So, you used Zero Rothmans Blue straight from the bottle with no lightening at all? I thought it would appear too dark, but no, absolutely perfect match. Which Zero Rothmans Blue was it, do you have the product number, because they do a few different ones I think?
Steve Noble

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Very nice work!

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi all,

Many thanks for the compliments, much appreciated & valued!

As for the Zero Rothmans Blue Code? I Painted the Blue several years ago, unfortunately I can't remember which bottle I used, it was probably used up & binned a while ago. Sorry about that! In fact I wish I knew myself, for ages I used Halfords Lacquer over Zero Paints with a brilliant finish & no issues but since then I've had endless problems with that combination & I don't know why. Since then I've switched to Zero's own brand Lacquer. If I knew the code of the Bottle I used here maybe I could get to the bottom of my Problems & start using Halfords Lacquer again.

Sorry I can't be of much use with that.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Beautiful build. Very, very nice. I like that you have gone for just the camel logo, always thought it suited that car more than the lettering. I assume its the Donington race car as that race has a special memory for you.
Congratulations.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Nice result!
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very nice and clean build, great job! :)
Take a stand!