Williams FW12 1988 Studio 27 Transkit.

Finished models...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Williams FW12 1988 Studio 27 Transkit.

Post by JamesB »

Really impressive and yes, the FW12 debuted with visible camcovers, Brazil was quite hot! And sure that was the first image we kept when we saw the first "year preview" magazine shots, in an age on which images were rare.
Very nice, and great series of FW's you are brewing :D

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Such a shame about the FW13, looking like it would have been a nice build.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Very well done and a brave choice to make the early version. Did you paint the wrap around blue or use the decal?

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi,

If ever I have a large area of Colour I'll always try to Paint it, even if Decals for that area have been included (I'll often use the Decal as a masking template). I've found that Decals rarely cover all of the little corners, seams & fiddly bits allowing the undercoat to show through. So all of my builds so far (never say never :D ) have been painted, it's rarely easy but the overall quality of the build just feels of a higher standard that way. So yes! the Yellow, Blue & White are all painted. :)

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

KB78 wrote:Hi,

If ever I have a large area of Colour I'll always try to Paint it, even if Decals for that area have been included (I'll often use the Decal as a masking template). I've found that Decals rarely cover all of the little corners, seams & fiddly bits allowing the undercoat to show through. So all of my builds so far (never say never :D ) have been painted, it's rarely easy but the overall quality of the build just feels of a higher standard that way. So yes! the Yellow, Blue & White are all painted. :)

Yes, I am the same way. I did a pair of FW12s a year or two ago and I tried the decal the first time and could'nt get it right over those knuckes on the nose. I often wonder if the guys who build the example kits - say, for Tamiyas FW11 - use those decals. Of course, they have an unlimited supply if theirs come out badly. Anyway....i'm babbling. Well done again!

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

I would really like to see your FW12's, did you build an 89 FW12C? Feel free to post a Picture or two, all babbling is welcome! :-)

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Great looking build!!

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

KB78 wrote:I would really like to see your FW12's, did you build an 89 FW12C? Feel free to post a Picture or two, all babbling is welcome! :-)
I did the transkit version (bottom pic) as Jean Louis Schlesser and the B (top pic) as Nigel Mansell. Somewhere deep in the stash is the C version.
Attachments
fw12B01.png
fw12B01.png (136.4 KiB) Viewed 82 times
FW1201.png
FW1201.png (140.64 KiB) Viewed 83 times

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Thank you for sharing those. I couldn't really find many reference Pictures for completed builds of this Kit so it's really nice to see some. Thank you, they're beautifully built, really clean, congratulations! Let's hope that Mr Dennis doesn't see your Pics of the Schlesser version, it MUST! still irritate even after all these years! The one & only reason the MP4/4 missed out on the the most perfect season possible.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Thanks for the compliments. I don't know how well you did but just finding ref pictures of the B version was tough, let alone builds of it.
Are you going to build the other 3 versions? There's also that low rear wing Germany version....lots of 12s to do.