Topic author
smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

F5000 Eagle MkV 1969

Post by smbrm1 »

I have been a part of F1m for 10 years. Many of you know of me because of my engine detailing profiles. I can't recall if I have ever posted any photos of my models to the forum. In fact its been a few years since I have been able to allocate the time to build a model. This model was started probably 6-8 years ago.

I have just recently completed my take on the 1969 F5000 Eagle MkV. While not a specific variant, it is reminiscent of an early version #7 driven by the late Tony Adamowicz.

This model is based on the 1/25 scale MPC Olsonite Eagle Indy car Kit 6026. The MPC Indy cars of 1968/1969 were among the first model cars I ever built. I thought it was time to go back and re-address my early builds with an updated variant. In order to replicate the key features of the F5000 Eagle MkV it has been extensively modified with scratch built & machined parts as well as some aftermarket parts and 3D printed parts. Only ~34 of the original ~129 kit parts were used.

Key to this build was the scratch building of new monocoque skins to accurately replicate the narrower bodywork and single fuel filler of the F5000 Eagle MkV. Based on measurements that I was graciously allowed to take of the restored car, this may be the first build to go this far in attempting to produce an accurate F5000 Eagle MkV chassis.

The suspension, (with the exception of the uprights) was entirely scratch built in plastic and brass to match as closely as possible original dimensions in scale.

It has other interesting features like machined aluminum rotors that rotate in scratch built and resin cast Girling calipers, as well as articulating universal joints.

The engine and chassis are wired and plumbed to standard practice. Coolant lines to the front mounted radiator are routed along the bottom of the chassis as are oil lines to the front mounted oil tank as in the original.

The 3D printed carburettors and intake manifold are topped with scratch built intake stacks of brass tubing. The engine is a modified Revell partspac 283 Chevrolet V8.

The model was first presented at GSL XXVII May 2-5, 2019 and managed to achieve Best of Class - Competition: Circle Track/Road Course.

More images and details can be viewed at:

https://sites.google.com/site/speeddeta ... heel/F5000

I hope that F1m members find my rendition of the F5000 Eagle MkV of interest and building inspiration.

Cheers

Stephen

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Re: F5000 Eagle MkV 1969

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

Stephen that is a stunner!
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Daveporschephile
F2
F2

Post by Daveporschephile »

Wonderful to see you modelling again. Congrats on the GSL award which looks well deserved.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Nice build!

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Masterclass :shock: !

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

Terrific job Stephen, and the award looks to be well deserved. I've never been fortunate enough to attend the GSL, but from what I have heard, any model that wins there must be very special indeed! :D

Cameron

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Looks great!!

jag
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by jag »

Excellent!
The enthusiastic, to those who are not, are always something of a trial. ~Alban Goodier

Teles
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Copersucar-Fittipaldi
Brazil

Post by Teles »

Wow! Amazing work!

Topic author
smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Thanks to all for the words of support and encouragement.

Cheers

Stephen