Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Tamiya Williams FW24

Post by stubeck »

This is a kit I've been working on for quite a while. Its been a great learning experience for what I should do in the future as well, mainly reviewing the parts of the car better to ensure the finished product is easier to complete. I ran into several issues with following the directions such as keeping the fuel fillers off the car which affected the final build, and the engine cover won't go on because the radiator shrouds aren't exactly where they need to be. I have another one of these kits I'll be building curb side so I likely won't even use them.

I used the SMS carbon fiber set for this car which I can not recommend, as its missing a ton of decals and the templates are not very accurate.

I tried to get a little fancy with the tires and put a clear coat on the inside of the grooves, but was never able to get it to look very good.

In the display case with the other cars.

In the end the engine cover came out pretty well, although it will never fit on the car.

These cars are so covered in wires that its always a bit of a disappointment when you show them off without the engine cover. I'm happy with what I got in there but feel like if I'd spent a bit more time on wiring it would make it look that much better. Maybe next time...

The rear wheels do get closer to touching the ground than the picture shows, although partially this is the fault of not glueing the engine down. The kit actually connects the front of the car through the engine, and this meant it bows up a bit. The biggest area where I need to get better for next time is getting the rear wing together. I got CA glue everywhere.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: Tamiya Williams FW24

Post by vekkuli »

Looks very decent Model despite those Issues anyway :) .

cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

Every project is a learning process. Your next project will be better because of this project and so forth. Main thing? Have fun!!

Coop

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Nice model, I have always liked the FW24 even though it is outside my preferred years range "1985-1992".
stubeck wrote:The biggest area where I need to get better for next time is getting the rear wing together. I got CA glue everywhere.
I do the same, sometimes the rear wings I build look like I had them bathed in CA glue.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Teles
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Copersucar-Fittipaldi
Brazil

Post by Teles »

Nice work, we all have small problems assembling kit, your FW24 looks good, the issues can be solved. Keep modeling F1 kits!
Cheers.
MT

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

So here's my plan for when I build my FW24: I will reverse engineer the Masterworks model that Tamiya made a few years back....i was able to find one "On the Cheap" somehow, and anyway, I have taken it apart a few times already (removed the engine cover) and noticed that it was a very tight fit. One of the things I will look for will be to see if the Tamiya Techs (probably made in China, or Philipenes...) modified the models to make them fit properly...eventually, I will post info on this - but it may be a while...
Querque