Finished models...

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Re: Wolf WR8

Post by Terry »

Wow JM you built this so fast the paint must still be drying as you took the photo's :lol:

Nice job, and especially so after those decals decided to coil up like a python. Your build assisted me in a way I did not expect. As I was looking for some photo's to help with your question thread I came across a recent 1/43 build of a WR7 This Way Up kit and it had the correct biscuit coloured decals instead of the gold decals I had in my kit. I sent an email to This Way Up asking if they had updated the decals and as it turns out, yes they had. Lee-Ann from TWU sent me a corrected replacement set in the mail and they arrived a couple of days ago, so I can now make my TWU Wolf. So a big thumbs up to This Way Up for their customer service, and a big thumbs up to JM :D

Cheers,
Terry

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

Great job JM :D

This one is a work in progress for me at the moment, so I'm really impressed with what you've done with it.

Did you shorten the front suspension arms? Mine were way too long and would have given the car a really strange look if I hadn't shortened them by about 8mm!

I've also changed the cockpit and fuel tank area on mine, as I felt the ratio between them was too much in favour of the cockpit. Having seen your finished version however, it doesn't seem to look too bad - maybe I'm being too fussy! :roll:

I do like cars without wings as well, but as I'm planning to do the Hunt version I don't have that choice.

Keep up the good work!

ES

Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

Emersonsquirrel wrote:Did you shorten the front suspension arms? Mine were way too long and would have given the car a really strange look if I hadn't shortened them by about 8mm!
Now that you mention it - I did shorten the upper suspension arms indeed. I cut the eyelet off which should have been used for the shrew to connect the wheel hub to the suspension arm. The arm was simply glued to the wheel hub. You can't see that area anyway as it is hidden inside the wheel. If you don't shorten the upper suspension arms the car would end up with an impossible huge positive camber :D .
Emersonsquirrel wrote:I've also changed the cockpit and fuel tank area on mine, as I felt the ratio between them was too much in favour of the cockpit. Having seen your finished version however, it doesn't seem to look too bad - maybe I'm being too fussy! :roll:
Maybe that ratio is not entirely correct but in my eyes it does not really change the correct appearence.
Emersonsquirrel wrote:I do like cars without wings as well, but as I'm planning to do the Hunt version I don't have that choice.
There are several distinctive development steps of the car. At the South American races the side pod end plates did not rise above the side pod level at all:
early.jpg
The next step were the high rising side pod endplates.
belgium.jpg
From the French GP onwards the rear brakes were moved from inboard to outboard position. In France, Britain and Germany the car raced without front wings. Of course from France onwards the driver changed as Hunt retired and Rosberg took over:
france.jpg
And finally from Austria onwards the rear wing was mounted on a middle beam and the nice big rear wing endplates were gone. For the last races In Noth America MIchelob added some color to the car:
late.jpg
Doing the Hunt version remember that up to and including the Belgian GP the rear view mirrors were different than from Monaco onwards.
JamesB wrote:and you were fast like hell, right? hmmm... 3 weeks including shipping and all!
I did it as a "quickie" in between the thousand building steps of two MFH Lotus 49B kits I'm working on currently. And what's more I did not have to look for a free space to store yet another kit. The finished model takes up less space :D .
JamesB wrote:Yes, that "rocket" look, you're right. There were a few SCI-FI cars back then.
I like the look of the Kauhsen WK1. Such a strange beast. And completetly hopless in terms of performance.
kauhsen.jpg
SWestern once showed a scratchbuilt project of the Kauhsen here but if I remember correctly it got stalled. Or did I miss something?

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Very nice build, JM. A rare treat!

I don't know if I'll get a reply, now that it's five months after the last post here. But.., would you mind telling how much you paid for your WR8 kit online? The man who makes Finisher's kits, Mr Kawaguchi, was curious today. Just curious.

By the way, I told him what a good job you've done with his product. Thanks for sharing.

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

Wonderful collection.

I admit, I am partial to the Canadian Flag. None the less great builds.

Cheers,
Mike

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Nice Work, you have a fine collection and they look great parked up together.
Dede.

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

A very nice collection :!:

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Hi! Jens, looking for F6A posts, found this one...
time to fix the bad pic links, may I suggest? :wink:
IIRC thr thing was well worth seeing, my friend
Cheers
JB

Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

JamesB wrote:time to fix the bad pic links, may I suggest? :wink:
Good idea. Photobucket let me down there. Uploaded the pics in the original message. And here are a few more:
Attachments
WR8-08.jpg
WR8-09.jpg
WR8-10.jpg
WR8-11.jpg

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada