Beemax Lancia S4

Finished models...

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Beemax Lancia S4

Post by bossy122 »

Well, it took 2 kits and some serious lessons ( that I hope I passed on to others ), but I finally finished one Beemax Lancia S4. Anyone who saw my original warnings ( heads up) post hopefully recalls the pitfalls with this kit but I will amend one heads up: the bonnet/hood/whatever you wish to call it that didn't seem to fit onto it's hinge and then into place, I found that if you pull it back and snap the little guides in place, then it fits. I can't recall having to stretch too many pieces into place on other kits, so that was interesting.
But here it is, not one of my best pieces but damnit, I got one finished! :D
Attachments
20190812_181217_resized.jpg
20190812_181147_resized.jpg
20190812_181049_resized.jpg
20190812_180836_resized.jpg
20190812_180740_resized.jpg
Hood pulled back into position. I didn't get the Martini stripe quite right and wound up not being able to use the very ends on either side as I put that sponsor decal on before noticing the end of the stripe.
Hood pulled back into position. I didn't get the Martini stripe quite right and wound up not being able to use the very ends on either side as I put that sponsor decal on before noticing the end of the stripe.
Last edited by bossy122 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Re: Beemax Lancia S4

Post by SanMarino »

Looks great regardless if it is not one of your best pieces.

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Cool build!!

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Looking good :) .

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Thanks. And now someday I have a spare S4 to do.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Despite your problems I think it came out very nicely!! If I may make a few observations. The wheel guards should be silver, not white. Personally I think for the majority of the rally they ran without them and the car looked better for it. You could add a little detail painting to them, the nuts and centres in particular, as they look a little plain. Also the little catches on the wing side of the the bonnet would benefit from some silver paint to just make them stand out. Other than that you did great..
Steve Noble

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I studied pics of the wheels specifically and they ran different wheels throughout the rally. I wasn't able to determine a color for the centers. The nuts are painted and the gaps highlighted, guess my pics didn't catch that.
There's a pic on Wikipedia of a museum car which looks like what Beemax used for reference. I used the front page pic of GPIs coverage as my wheel ref. But as I look at it again, the rear wheel guard has several large holes around it where as the Beemax piece does not.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

Wow. Great build!! You have done a great job, from what i’ve heard it’s not that great of a kit. It seems to me that Beemax is making horrible mistakes with their models. It always starts good, but gets awful in the end. I have 2 started kits from Beemax. The MP4/2B and the BT52. The cowling from the BT52 is warped, so had to order new parts. The side skirts on the MP4/2B don’t fit, after the monocoque is attached to the chassis. I think these kits are way to complex. Too much parts, like Fujimi where you need to leave half off if you want to complete a model.
Best regards,
Lesley

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

bossy122 wrote:I studied pics of the wheels specifically and they ran different wheels throughout the rally. I wasn't able to determine a color for the centers. The nuts are painted and the gaps highlighted, guess my pics didn't catch that.
There's a pic on Wikipedia of a museum car which looks like what Beemax used for reference. I used the front page pic of GPIs coverage as my wheel ref. But as I look at it again, the rear wheel guard has several large holes around it where as the Beemax piece does not.
Nice job !..It is almost impossible to get all details correct.There are so many differences between practice and races.Main thing is that you catch "a moment"in that race or practice.It takes a pro to spot the details.Anyway,a good job done !

Alex.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

eyckles wrote:Wow. Great build!! You have done a great job, from what i’ve heard it’s not that great of a kit. It seems to me that Beemax is making horrible mistakes with their models. It always starts good, but gets awful in the end. I have 2 started kits from Beemax. The MP4/2B and the BT52. The cowling from the BT52 is warped, so had to order new parts. The side skirts on the MP4/2B don’t fit, after the monocoque is attached to the chassis. I think these kits are way to complex. Too much parts, like Fujimi where you need to leave half off if you want to complete a model.

The kit itself isn't so bad, the quality control in proof reading the instructions and including a defective piece could have corrected the bigger flaws. The decals come out pretty well, if you know what's coming when applying them. It's as if they were presoftened with Microsol. Like I said, I've never experienced that before so it was QUITE the surprise.
Attachments
The one on the right was the surprise decal. I went to run a brush across to get the water out from underneath and wound up distorting the pinstripes.
The one on the right was the surprise decal. I went to run a brush across to get the water out from underneath and wound up distorting the pinstripes.