Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Protar Ferrari T2 fuel tanks size

Post by mazyen »

HI,

I'm presently refurbishing my old Protar Ferrari T2 & am just seeking verification from you guys whether the kit fuel tanks size is correct as the 2 solid rubber blocks on either side of the cockpit are so small. If they are wrong, I'll just glue down the side pods and be done with it.

BTW, the kit's soft rubber parts (tires included) have melted any plastic parts that they are in contact with.

Cheers
Lee
Attachments
P9340048.jpg

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: Protar Ferrari T2 fuel tanks size

Post by CK »

Hi Lee,

I do some search and only find one cutaway drawing of the 312T that has this small fuel tank. I believe it is an early version. All other cutaway drawings of either 312T or 312T2 show a fuel tank fully occupying that sidepod area. Tamiya's 312T also depicts a full size fuel tank with aluminum skin which is correct according some photos.

I have the Protoar 1/12 312T and luckly discovered early that the rubber parts would melt the polystyrene parts. I plan to use the original tires as masters and make molds out of them of replacement. All other rubber parts need to be scratch built.
C K
Canada

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Hi CK,

Thanks for the info. Somehow, I don't think the 2 small tanks will last a race. If it is the early version, most probably they were used during tests.
In that case I'll just glue down the side pods & be done with it. I also got a Tamiya 312T in my stash as reference. The Protar T2 also have an extremely large front wing.

Lee

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Lee,

Protar is not known for accuracy for their models. You always have to do some research and modifications for accurate models.
C K
Canada