Leave bare carbon fiber decal on parts’ surface

Ask away...

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Leave bare carbon fiber decal on parts’ surface

Post by CaptainMark »

I've always found that Tamiya acrylic paint, which I believe is largely water based with perhaps a few other not-too-harsh odds and ends in it, is very forgiving to decals and I've never experienced any problems. However I always build up the layers very slowly with a few mist coats before a medium coat or two and then a wet coat.

I actually use the same process with Tamiya lacquer TS-13 clear which is known to be a bit of a decal killer, but I've never personally had any problems with it providing I build it up in very gradual layers. However I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it unless they've practiced on old scrap kits or plastic spoons or the like first.
Image Image

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Oh and Danibear, put your images to share on imgur.com , they have a method of extremely quickly grabbing the suitable code to simply copy and paste pictures straight into a forum post on this site. It's what I did to get my images showing in this thread. Check it out and ask back here if you have any issues, there's no shortage of smart people around here who can help out!
Image Image

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Thank you so much for the nice hints and tips! :D