Sidewalk tire marks. How to?

Ask away...

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Sidewalk tire marks. How to?

Post by plastiksurgeon »

turboF1 wrote:Thanks again Steve for your insight! Greatly appreciated.
Also wouldn’t grabbing the tire while mounting them cause some smudging to occur too? In that era even the Good Year logo is spray painted at the track with a stencil, right?

By contrast Today’s tires look perfectly manufactured and printed.
They most probably would get smudged with handling the real tire, but I'm afraid replicating that on a model tire would probably just come across as a modeling mistake.

As for those Goodyear logos, pre '93 the tires were delivered to the teams at the event with black sidewalls and part of the contract with Goodyear was that the team would be provided stencils and needed to spray white through the templates onto the tires at the race weekend. Talk about passing the buck ! So the teams had a mechanic spray the Goodyear logos on the tires. There was no pride in getting them perfect and with the template not perfectly flat against the tire, you have the resulting oversprayed letters from those days, you know, with the white ghosting from a quick and sloppy application.

That slopped on until 1992, where several big Goodyear execs were attending a nascar race for the first time. One of the suits mentioned something about putting a best foot forward and how atrocious the logos looked on the tires. Being their main form of communication with millions of fans, they questioned whether that sloppy logo job was the right message to the watching public. The beginning of the 1993 racing season saw perfect yellow Goodyear logos imprinted right into the sidewall of every racing tire that left the factory. (....same way that MFH does their model tires, same technology)

There's the tale on those.....

Cheers,
Steve Mohlenkkamp
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Steve was that what was started at Indy 1992 with the yellow Goodyear logos?

Jordan

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

I was thinking it was the start of '93 before the yellow letters started but maybe it was '92.... and maybe Indy was an experiment.... ???
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

I think you are right that Goodyear did not implement until 1993. But they did run yellow tire markings were at the 1992 Indy 500 and they look very uniform. I just did a spot check of the next CART race and it looks like they ran older style white lettering for those cars in the rest of 1992.

Jordan

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I had always thought the switch from white to yellow was also when they went from biasply to radial tires, is that correct?

TvD
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tim
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lando Norris and McLaren
New Zealand

Post by TvD »

stubeck wrote:I had always thought the switch from white to yellow was also when they went from biasply to radial tires, is that correct?
Don’t know about that, But from 1993 on they had the smaller width tyres as well (in F1). I always figured that was the reason behind it?
My Scalemodel gallery: https://photos.keepturningleft.com

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

plastiksurgeon wrote:And one more thing ! Keep "scale contrast" in mind.... if you look at a photograph of a real car, (the whole car) that has random tire markings, you probably didn't even notice them until you went searching for random tire markings....and I think your model should be the same way.... the markings shouldn't stick out or be heavy. They should be a second awareness when someone looks at your model. They should see them only when they look closer beyond the first look. And after you finish, maybe a wash over them to knock them back a little. I never leave white lettered tires full on white. What led me to that was photographing models where the process of photography adds contrast. Dark areas render darker at the same time that light areas become even lighter than what our eyes can see on both ends. Thus my tires in pictures were neon white, almost looking like they glowed from within. So, I started washing back all bright white tire logos, which led to washing back a lot of things on my models. That led me to think of the concept as "scale contrast".

Below is an example of what I mean. The Michelin tire logos on this MFH 20th scale BT52 were heavy and bright white, which alone, would have made the model look like a model....especially in my photographs with photography's added contrast.
BRABHAM-BT52-hinder-portrait-FIF-needs-the-world.gif

Now, back to those random markings.... It might help you replicate those markings if you know how they get there in the first place on the real car. As a Formula One shooter for 16 years, I've witnessed it first hand. So, Let's say the Williams team shows up at the Mexican Grand Prix ready for the weekend. The first thing the crew does is mark all of their wheels and then take them over to the Goodyear compound to get fitted with the weekend's tires, picked just for this event, sometimes even manufactured just for this event. (That is why there are random markings on the wheels as well....but usually in the center under the tire). The weekend staff at the temporary Goodyear compound fits the wheels with tires and marks them as to which team and any other markings necessary. And when it gets right down to marking a tire, here's what to picture in your mind as you create them on your model tire....as this is just a reminder of something, and since the person marking the tire is only doing it for reference, the time for him to do it perfectly is just not necessary. Plus imagine how scribbling you would get if you had a stick of chalk and your mission was to mark three hundred and twenty tires from twenty teams, ....you'd be scribbling ! So, as he holds a tire in place, or it lays before him on the ground, he grabs a stick of chalk and literally scribbles on the tire sidewall, at whatever angle is presented....some times the tread, but of course that would be gone by the time the tire turns three revolutions once on the car. His scribbling is not uniform, not heavy and not bright. Then the tires/wheels go back to the paddock where the team now scribbles their random markings as to which car, which driver, which corner of the car, which session.... that kind of thing, so that by the time this tire sees action, it looks like it's been devoured by a renaissance artist.

Point is, keep the markings thin and random, at off angles. Since the real tires are marked with chalk, why not use a chisseled pointed shard of white or yellow chalk...? Nothing looks like chalk, ...quite like chalk ! But if paint, fine brush, not much paint, (water it sown, ...chalk is almost transparent) the real guys mix some white words, some yellow words, ...depending on which stick of chalk they grab, ...but keep the yellow toned down just like the white...you can erase and practice a thousand times if necessary until you get where you want to be. Then wash them to knock them back. Scale contrast....

Thanks for the listening ear gentlemen.

Cheers,
Steve Mohlenkamp
FWIW, I think at least in Formula 1, the GoodYear logos were sprayed at the factory from at least 1989, not by the teams. We used to attend Grands Prix at Silverstone from the 70's, '80's and '90's and many tyre test sessions too. As kids, my pal and I used to go to the GoodYear transporter where the tyres were fitted and blag handfulls of the machined valve caps. I distinctly remember seeing mechanics spraying sidewalls with templates in the '70's, and at one test session ('89) we asked the GoodYear guys if we could have a spray template. The reply was that "all logos are applied at the factory these days".

I think if you look at images of the mid to late '80's onwards GoodYear tyres, sure, they're not perfectly sharp-edged by any means, but you'll struggle to find a significanly mis-matched template-applied logo. Of course, the later yellow logos were printed on at the factory, not sprayed, and are much better defined.

Also, I never saw chalk being used to mark a tyre. Usually it was a thick yellow or white wax crayon, with the teams applying more specific information (and the tyre/wheel slip tell-tales) with finer paint pencils. Interestingly these marking are quite opaque and distinct - they are required for evaluating wear after a session, and need to remain clear.

I've got a '92 Jordan F1 rear tyre (Stefano Modena) here in my office. It's still complete with the hand written markings - chalk would be long gone. Ignore the wheel, it's an old F3000 item that I had and decided to use for a table. Hopefully it illustrates what I've just described (notwithstanding some underspray, note the perfectly aligned edges of the Good Year markings) :

This one has the remains of a run-over yellow wax crayon still stuck to it:

Here's one of those '90's F1 tyre valve caps I mentioned. All my cars and bikes, and friends cars and bikes had them at one point. Note the perfectly aligned marking:

And a few more I took back in the day:

1985:

1991:

Contrast these with this 1979 Ligier; the team applied logo on the front isn't even concentric with the wheel

Here's my own effort at wheels for my current MP4/6; I used decals for the logo and white and yellow acrylics applied with a fine brush for the rest. You can wipe it off with thinners and try again if you make a mistake. Not perfect, but there we go!

One other thing to note is that removing the central mould line from Tamiya tyres is a popular pastime, but the real tyres had them too, so if you're depicting a 'sticker set' leave them on.

Cheers!

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Hey guys, lots of good info here.

I'm almost done a model but the darn tire decals are holding me up. About 3-4 days after applying them this happened to about half the decals I put on:

I'm not sure what I did wrong, especially since half of them are fine and I put them all on the same way. :? I tried putting decal softener on them and it was no help.

Anyways, I've ordered a Tamiya Bridgestone tire stencil. Everyone says no enamel. I have some flat white Rustoleum spray paint but even after Googling it I have no idea what kind of paint it is (enamel, acrylic, etc). Does anyone know if that will work?

I also have Tamiya fine primer, would that work better?

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Steve, you are bang on with your descriptions and details. I have been one of those tyre guys and have done my fair share of scribbling. Each team has their own ways of marking their tyres, and nowadays they are more discretely placed so as not to give away their information to other teams. The teams now use paint pens, so markings are also a lot smaller and neater.
turboF1, logo's are printed on tyres now so they are also a lot neater. The days of the tyre techs at goodyear giving the tyres a hit with a can of spraypaint and a stencil are also gone.
Something that I have observed however, is as modellers we all scrub the tyres to remove the seam and give the tyres a used look (me included). Reality is, green and unused tyres do have a high sheen and a seam (just like your kit tyres), so it would not be inaccurate to have your model with that look also.
Don't be nervous about painting your tyre markings. Tyres are quite forgiving. If your paint stroke is too thick, uneven and you are not happy, just scratch/rub the paint off with your fingernail and try again. You can also tidy up your markings with a hobby knife. Gently press the blade flat across the section you wish to remove and pull the paint away from the marking. When your tyres are dry you can give them a wipe with a soft damp cloth which will clean up any scuff marks on the side wall.
Have a practice on a spare tyre. You will get the hang of it in no time.
If you are still not sure about the multitude of markings, just remember the saying 'less is more'.
A simple 'L' AND 'R', directional arrows and a car number alone will really lift you your model.
Happy tyre marking!