Do third party decal manufactureres get permission?

Ask away...

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Do third party decal manufactureres get permission?

Post by Tyrone »

Hi,

Quick question,

Do people like PitWall, Shunko etc who make the Pirelli tyres markings, Haas conversion kits, spare decals for kits etc have to get permission from every single sponsor that logo will be used on the decal sheet?

I'm thinking about selling some of my custom made decals, but if I have to get permission of every single company in order to do so then I wont bother tbh.

Im almost 100% certain you *should* get permission, but then again companies like Hiroboy, Spotmodel etc sell the products, so it's not like theyre only available on the black market.

Thanks,
Tyrone.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Do third party decal manufactureres get permission?

Post by stubeck »

I think most are unlicensed. I know that the big manufacturers do need to get the OK from everyone, which is why kits don't include some decals that they should (Toyota TS050 doesn't include Le Mans or WEC decals).

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

stubeck wrote:I think most are unlicensed. I know that the big manufacturers do need to get the OK from everyone, which is why kits don't include some decals that they should (Toyota TS050 doesn't include Le Mans or WEC decals).
That's really interesting, the 1:18 diecast of the Toyota has the missing decals. So Tamiya must contact Elf, Champion spark plugs, Goodyear and ford in order to release a P34 kit for example. That's a lot of backwards and forwards between a lot of companies in order to get a product released.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

As all the "unwritten" rules, that's a bit loose, but basically works on the basis "Do, and if they don't complain..."
Small production makers will not care, as copyright owners don't bother to sue them (or kinda) but big number boys are a tantalizing candy to sue, so they are careful.
That counts for decals or cars. Ask a team if they allow you to making something theirs, and they'll have a fun time asking you for draconian conditions...