1/12 MFH model number

Ask away...

Topic author
ct_mazi
Spectator
Spectator

1/12 MFH model number

Post by ct_mazi »

Does anybody what the model number for this is?
https://suberfactory.com/dossier-71-fer ... -2017.html

Thank you

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: 1/12 MFH model number

Post by Icon_Modeler »

MFH has never released a Ferrari 312T in 1/12th scale. They released one in 1/20th scale only and it was a very early kit. So early that I don't think that there was a kit number on the box or instructions. If the model you posted the link to is in fact 1/12th scale I would say it is probably a Tamiya kit or maybe a Protar kit if Protar released the 312T with a metal chassis like they have with other releases.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

The plaque says Museum Collection.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Whoa that looks awesome. Seeing the parts to hand ratio I'd say it is definitely 1:12 scale. Just have a look at that piece covering the forward end of the bulkhead / tub above
the legs and pedals of the driver... which brings me to the next point. In some shots it looked like a the plastic piece(s) from Tamiya had been re-cast in white metal. But then
again, if you scratch created a piece and cast it in white metal, it would probably look very much the same, unless Tamiya simplified some parts and MFH did them "properly".

In some shots the rough surface of the tub (prior to polishing...) looked like a plastic Tamiya chassis where the details had been sanded off, which is what I did before attempting
to deck it out in thin aluminium sheets (which didn't work so well), pitted white metal and all. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Is anybody able to tell any obvious differences between
the parts portrayed there and the Tamiya kit parts? My 312T box is "temporarily" somewhere in the basement with all the other unbuilt kits, so I can't pull it out for a quick check.

The built model looks super nice though. Not sure how it compares to a regular T 312T with the SMS photoetch cockpit...

Well it's Frederic Suber... he's built a bunch of MFH kits.. Anyone know him and care to ask what the basis for this model is. Isn't Museum Collection one of those rather basic kit
manufacturers? The ones Christian likes to take and bring to new levels (where I would just open the box, look at it, close it again and be like "I can't deal with that right now" ;).
If I'm wrong, apologies ahead...
Cheers,
Roman

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

It must be a very well made Tamiya model with many recast metal parts. If you look at some parts they are clearly Tamiya parts. check out his Frederic Suber Facebook page...many pictures of the build.

Do you think recasting in whitemetal is hard to do !? really would love to give it a try. If one of those gas torches from the hardware store is enough to melt the metal I would like to giver it a try.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

sky1911 wrote:
Well it's Frederic Suber... he's built a bunch of MFH kits.. Anyone know him and care to ask what the basis for this model is. Isn't Museum Collection one of those rather basic kit
manufacturers? The ones Christian likes to take and bring to new levels (where I would just open the box, look at it, close it again and be like "I can't deal with that right now" ;).
If I'm wrong, apologies ahead...
According to Frederic it's home made.
The bodywork is from Tamiya.
Last edited by racingkars on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well, I have a special white metal alloy that can be used for casting as well as a special silicone, but haven't had "time" to use it. I've read up on it in a German
tank modelling forum where they cast the tracks using white metal. It's not that difficult. Basically you create a mould, but have to think about venting channels.
And what most of them did was create moulds on some kind of rotating platform, so that the centrifugal forces would drive the white metal into the remote
channels when pouring... I think MFH is doing it in a similar fashion. It's not rocket science really. 180-350°C degrees is the melting point, so it should managable
via household options.
Cheers,
Roman

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

It must be a real heavy model with all parts done in white metal, without spacers under it the suspension should weeken pretty fast.
Take a stand!

87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 87bmwm6 »

WOW. amazing craftsmanship.