Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Pete Lyons Lotus 72 Book (1970-1975)

Post by SBEST »

Looking to get this book As anyone purchased it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve

MikeM
Spectator
Spectator

Re: Pete Lyons Lotus 72 Book (1970-1975)

Post by MikeM »

Hi, I have it and think it’s a great book. It breaks down each race with photos and comments. There aren’t many detail photos to help modellers although there are track photos of less common versions.
I hope this helps?

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

I received my copy last week, ordered through Amazon, and I agree with MikeM's comments. This book is very much a "history of" book, loaded with great color and black & white photos, but not a lot of detail photos.

The Lotus 72 is one of my all-time favorite F1 cars, and Pete Lyons is one of my favorite racing journalists, and I am very happy with this book. It's heavy on photos with informative captions, but is clearly aimed at those interested in the 72's history, rather than those looking for a modeling reference book.

Cameron

rx-7
F2
F2

Post by rx-7 »

I wonder if Michael Oliver's Lotus 72 book has alot of detail photos? I know it's pretty pricey.

Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I have both the Michael Oliver 72 book and the Kimberly Guide. I suspect based on what I am reading is that Pete Lyon book is good but it probably won't add more than the other books.......

So, for now I am taking a pass on it.

1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

I also have the Michael Oliver 72 book (purchased several years ago). It's a nice balance of written and photo history along with a number of high quality detail photos. I would highly recommend it if you can find a copy at a reasonable price.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

I have Oliver's "Lotus 49: The Story of a Legend" book which is terrific, but missed getting his book on the 72. In fact, that's why I jumped on getting Lyon's book on the 72. No way was I going to spend years kicking myself later for missing this one! :lol:

Steve, if all you are looking for is detail photos to help with building a Lotus 72 model, then I certainly understand passing on this book. I would say the Haynes Owners Manual and both of the MFH Joe Honda books on the 72 are the ones to get as modeling references.

But if, like me, you like the 72, and enjoy reading the histories of iconic race cars like this one, then I recommend not passing up this book. I have the Haynes Owners Manual and both of the MFH Joe Honda books on the 72, plus a good number of other books/magazines articles/etc with info on the 72. But unless you have Oliver's book, I have to say the new Lyons book is the best book about the 72 that is currently available. It's just not the best for modeling details.

Cameron

Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

flashman wrote:I have Oliver's "Lotus 49: The Story of a Legend" book which is terrific, but missed getting his book on the 72. In fact, that's why I jumped on getting Lyon's book on the 72. No way was I going to spend years kicking myself later for missing this one! :lol:

Steve, if all you are looking for is detail photos to help with building a Lotus 72 model, then I certainly understand passing on this book. I would say the Haynes Owners Manual and both of the MFH Joe Honda books on the 72 are the ones to get as modeling references.

But if, like me, you like the 72, and enjoy reading the histories of iconic race cars like this one, then I recommend not passing up this book. I have the Haynes Owners Manual and both of the MFH Joe Honda books on the 72, plus a good number of other books/magazines articles/etc with info on the 72. But unless you have Oliver's book, I have to say the new Lyons book is the best book about the 72 that is currently available. It's just not the best for modeling details.

Cameron
Thanks. I have the Haynes manual & the Oliver book. I am going to pass on the Lyon's book for now.

Steve