MFH vs SMS Carbon Fibre Decal

Ask away...

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

MFH vs SMS Carbon Fibre Decal

Post by SebLeung »

Apologies if this has been asked before, I'm just wondering how MFH carbon fibre compares to Scale Motorsport carbon fibre? I've been using SMS since my W08 build and have really enjoyed its ease of conformity and how thin it is. How does MFH compare in terms of thickness and conformity? E.g. Studio27 decals are much thicker and more brittle.

Asking because the type of SMS CF I want is currently out of stock from where I usually order from so I'm wondering if it's worth it to wait for restock or just go ahead with MFH.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.f1modelling.com

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: MFH vs SMS Carbon Fibre Decal

Post by lezdep »

I have pretty much switched to Tamiya CF decals and they work really similar to CF from SMS.
A bit stronger, still thin, less Micro-Sol required as well.

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Never use MFH carbon fiber. Waste your time and money.

I dislike them so much as to..... ok.... if you are in US, tell me what carbon pattern you want and I may have them in my hobby room. I can send to you, free of charge..... :D
Used to spend money to try out many different CF decals. Lessons to learn before you find what you need.

So that I have one more guy on my side to hate
MFH carbon decals......

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

lezdep wrote:I have pretty much switched to Tamiya CF decals and they work really similar to CF from SMS.
A bit stronger, still thin, less Micro-Sol required as well.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. It doesn't seem to have any of that metallic look to it though, one thing I'm a big fan of SMS for. It has a certain look in the light that looks highly realistic.
danibear wrote:Never use MFH carbon fiber. Waste your time and money.

I dislike them so much as to..... ok.... if you are in US, tell me what carbon pattern you want and I may have them in my hobby room. I can send to you, free of charge..... :D
Used to spend money to try out many different CF decals. Lessons to learn before you find what you need.

So that I have one more guy on my side to hate
MFH carbon decals......
haha you're certainly very passionate about the topic. I live in Canada so I can't take you up on your offer unfortunately. I've found SMS and MFH to be similarly priced though, so are you saying that MFH is worse than SMS? Or that both are overpriced? I'm curious what your preference is if that's the case!
http://www.f1modelling.com

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I have used every brand

SMS is top of the list, except for all the ones I had that cracked so I quit using them for a while

MFH are ok, but it depends who makes them for them, they have used Cartograf in the past, but again they have different styles and patterns, in find the shaped fitted CF decals in their 1/12 kits very good, their spray thru decals need good practice to get right

KA models used to be good but they changed their producer as well

Studio 27, same problem, Cartograf ones were great, better than SMS imho.

There is a lot inconsistencies with brands except SMS, once they solved their cracking issue

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

MFH is as expensive as SMS, but way harder to use, very difficult to stretch them with gentle brushing, brittle and break easily.

SMS is not cheap but a joy to use, so easy to apply to complicated angles and surfaces, and save you a lot of time and frustration. As Sennafan mentioned, SMS quality is pretty consistent. Once goes to SMS, never comes back....