Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Question about Studio 27

Post by SBEST »

Not seeing much activities on Studio 27 website. The only thing i am seeing is the blog is updated from time to time.

Otherwise, very inactive. Anyone have insights if Studio 27 is still active?

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Re: Question about Studio 27

Post by gilles.r »

SBEST wrote:Not seeing much activities on Studio 27 website. The only thing i am seeing is the blog is updated from time to time.

Otherwise, very inactive. Anyone have insights if Studio 27 is still active?

Yes, the blog is the only source of very few news.... mainly of decals or sometimes of re-releases ...
not the gloriuous time of 4 to 8 kits each year

jaymtford
Midfield
Midfield

Post by jaymtford »

I think the 1/20 resin kit market is pretty dead these days. With the new BeeMax releases (and all the other plastic releases over the past hew years) I'm sure people have some decent size stashes to work through. Add to that the many 1/12 MFH releases and I would guess a lot of modelers don't have much budget left for 1/20th resin kits. I've noticed its been much harder to sell some of my 1/20 resin kits the past few years versus 4 or 5 years ago.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I think they saturated the market with kits in the mid 2000s and the quality went downhill, which led to them being a bit of a bad name in the hobby. They still have decent kits, but I know there were many issues with their Porsche and Audi LMP kits recently too.

I agree too that the 1/12 MFH kits are likely hurting things, as if nothing else its simply easier to super detail a kit that is that much larger!

Topic author
SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Tough selling anything F1. Hell I can't sell my Autocourse books.

jjy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: jjy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ARROWS
United States of America

Post by jjy »

So do you feel there's a lost of interest in 1/20th scale F1 kits or just the fact that there's no new or interesting subject matter? Or the bigger problem of licensing? I imagine there are still quite a few of us should who have sizable 1/20 collection and would add to if the right subject matter was released.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

1/20 is still my scale of choice. It's the best compromise of detail/size for me. Surely the thing is that there are less and less cars that NEED kitting now. What's left now are very niche items and, whilst interesting to a few people, would there be enough interest to turn a profit.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

If anything, we must also realize that we get old, the sport also does, and the hobby too. Among other effects, that has what I call the "dilution" thing.
37 years ago one new season was one among 30. And one among 10, at the most, that we could remember. A new car was one among the likely interesting cars of those years. Now any new thing is one among almost 70 seasons of F1.
Current cars look the same from, say, 6 seasons ago? And then cars were the same from 2009 to 2013. And before, from 2002 to 2008.
There are few cars left to make, also.
And yes, comparing what MFH offers a 1/12, wow! :D

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

daveyman wrote:1/20 is still my scale of choice. It's the best compromise of detail/size for me. Surely the thing is that there are less and less cars that NEED kitting now. What's left now are very niche items and, whilst interesting to a few people, would there be enough interest to turn a profit.
Agree 100%.
I would like a Gijs van Lnnep Surtees TS7 or a Gijs van Lennep Iso Marlb#r# in scale 1/20.
But i think those might not be best sellers.
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

You see, Kars? that's what I meant! :D
With 70 years of F1 to pick from, the ariety of choice is soooo wide that everyone have their own "cup of tea" so it gets hard to identify a no brainer choice...