Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: Question about Studio 27

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

GGSF1 wrote: Years ago I came across a website where a Japanese guy described how he had scratch built a 2005 McLaren by using a machine to cut some material that looked like wood. I saw that and I thought it would be great to be able to do a similar thing, especially as I was learning some basic 3D modelling back then, but the technology used didn't really look too accessible. Now, there are people in the forum selling 3D printed parts, and it's not too uncommon to have a 3D printing shop nearby. If this keeps progressing like this, in a few years printing a full model car might be affordable for everyone, and if this happens then we'll be able to have any car in our collection.

It's mere speculation of course, but I'll go one further.

The resin / styrene kit as we know it may well become obsolete. You could end up buying a kit in the form of a downloadable software package which gets fed into the 3D printer / outsourced 3D Printing company of choice.

Decals may also be another candidate for this method, however current printer technology incorporating software licensing packages could need greater development.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Leftkeys and Marc, you´re welcome :D
I can go even a step further, Paul -what we call cuñadismo here in Spain, and Joaquin and JesusM will understand, as endless imagination- and say that future models will not be material.
I´ve said before, but my thought is small hollographic display cabinets, and models may be PC files, and you will see every detail.

Yes, the ¨print it yourself¨might work, no doubt, though I think the main thibg is that people of all ages have other distractions. Some wise people said that plastic model industry has historically been funded by bad modelers, young boys, and also modelers that buy and don´t build. What some call ¨box collectors¨.
Kids now play with mobiles, people who make bad builds buy no more as they see they blew it, and people have less space to store, while material stuff has started to see its value lowered, just go to see flea markets and will be astounded about what people throws to the trash. Books, toys, models, guitars...
But again I say, we´ll never get dry of models you´ll see.
J
Ps no, I don´t see either those catastrophic shipping conditions, never. Yes, more expensive than before, but not that dramatical. And still you can send stuff within and from Europe at a reasonable price. I just sent the Alfas, just under a pound weight, to US for 14eu, some 16$...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I thought about trying to get into the 3d Printer side after seeing what some people were doing here, but there are two big problems.

1. Piracy. Once you sell the print to someone there isn't anything stopping them from giving the file to someone else or simply printing them constantly. I suspect someone will be able to fix this in the future, but at the moment this is where we're at.

2. Printer quality. With the number of printers on the market, and the vast difference in printer technology, supporting it would be a nightmare based on the ability for people to complain about it with no control over whether this is your problem or the printers.

I think we're still a way away from that, and as a younger person in this hobby (35), I'm still seeing people younger than me get into it. My wife is really into Gundhams, and when we went to Japan it seemed a lot of others were too! Our niche is also a lot better now than it was 15 years ago when I really started to get into it too.

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

On the subject of Holographic PohPah...I say BUNK! - that is already here! - and available just around the corner...Come on, We love to handle, touch, and snuggle with our models....they need to be in solid form to really be enjoyed - besides, what would we be able to glue together! (Electrons?)....HeHe...'just sayin'
JMHO, Querque

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

indygp2001 wrote:On the subject of Holographic PohPah...I say BUNK! - that is already here! - and available just around the corner...Come on, We love to handle, touch, and snuggle with our models....they need to be in solid form to really be enjoyed -
Me too!!!! :D :D absolutely!!! that I foresee what I say, surely doesn't mean I'd like it!! :lol: :lol:
I literally "play" with my cars you can bet! :mrgreen: