Ask away...

Topic author
davidf
Spectator
Spectator

Paint codes

Post by davidf »

Good Morning,

I only have about two hours a week to do model cars (one of the reasons I've taken up figure modelling. Can do inside). I used to used my trusty old airbrush but realized i was doing more prep and cleaning the actual modelling. Recently I've gone back to spray cans which has saved me a lot of time. It is a lot more expensive using the TS tamiya range of paints though.

I went to my local auto parts store and they say they can mix up all different paint codes and up to 70,000 colours. I model mostly Ferrari F1 and Benetton cars. Is there a database for which automotive paint codes to use.

Thanks

David.

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Re: Paint codes

Post by Tiffoc »

Hi David... I'm mostly a Ferrari builder too 8) ... One place I use a lot for Ferrari colours is here:
https://www.hiroboy.com/FerrariMaserati ... --985.html
Zero paints are great to use, they need a clear coat once the colour has cured, I use Zero's
own brand to do this... Steve Hemming is a great guy too and will answer any questions, he
mostly answers emails the same day. BUT allow a couple of days. incase he's busy. Don't forget
to download the colour charts in the link above. :wink:
If you're UK based Halfords is handy as well... cheaper for the amount of paint you get and
because you don't have to clear coat it either... I decant it allow it to degas and use it through
the Airbrush, or if I'm lazy :roll: I have used it straight from the rattle can!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Steve.
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher