FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Build Stands

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of making a set of build stands for current 1:12 MFH projects.

The aim of the stands would be to elevate the current structure (engine / chassis etc) off the surface to allow greater access to low standing areas - suspension points, exhausts etc.

I am currently considering a triangular or rectangular design, not sure which is better.

For materials, I am thinking about using brass rod (or possibly tube) - again, not sure which is better.

From a strength perspective, I'd intend to solder all the structural joints. I believe a soldered joint would be inherently stronger than a comparative CA glued structure. Brass would also be more resilient to wear and tear than styrene would be, and be more resistant to accidental fluid spills etc.

As brass is heavier than styrene, I would imagine that a brass structure would also retain it's squareness while under pressure better than styrene would. Brass would also be more resistant to any exposure to sources of instantaneous heat, should that ever occur.

However, my main concern is the weight bearing aspect - MFH kits are known to be heavy due to the combined weight of the white metal parts, and again I suspect that a brass structure would handle the weight better than styrene would.

I am open to any design suggestions and would welcome further discussion.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Build Stands

Post by 43rdMichael »

Lego / duplo is another option.?

Infinitely ‘tailorable’ to each model, and strong.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Paul, If I could make a suggestion. If you have access to machining equipment, an aluminum tooling plate(machined flat for precision) and then bored to fit brass pins would give you a more flexible work space. You can precisely locate the pins and move them as necessary to accommodate differant phases of the build. You can also easily adjust the height of the pins as necessary. It sounds like you may be building more MFH stuff in the future, so having a reusable plate may be a good idea.
Attachments
tooling plate.jpg

nsdias
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Nelson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell p34
Brazil

Post by nsdias »

Some solutions that can help in the design ...

JIG for 1/12 scale motorcycles

1/32 scale slot car JIG