Topic author
viperdoug
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: SENNA
United States of America

Brabham BT52

Post by viperdoug »

I just started the Beemax Bt52 and I see that they have 2 decals for the rear wing, one is blue and one is black all with white lettering. I have looked around and don't see any photos with the black wing. I found one photo with Patrese leading Piquet at Canada that is on the dark side and looks like Patrese may have had a black wing. Also does anyone know if the wing was painted black or was it unpainted carbon fiber?

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Brabham BT52

Post by jaykay »

Here are some pictures of the BT52B: http://www.gurneyflap.com/bt52photos.html
As far as i can tell the wing was painted the same on the early model.

brabhamboy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Can you guess…..???
Great Britain

Post by brabhamboy »

From what I can see from pictures in my various Brabham books, the BT52 did have a black rear wing for the Detroit and Canada races, and the front wing was also blue, rather than white. Can't tell if it was painted or carbon fibre though.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

From photos that I can find from the web, the car did run with black rear wing in Monaco, Detroit, and Canadian. In Monaco, the front wing was white while in Detroit and Canada the front wing was blue. However, in these 3 races the color scheme was blue on the nose overall white body.

From the photos, the rear wing looks dull black. It is most likely that it is not painted and just bare carbon fiber. However, the rear side of the rear wing was still painted blue. A line of blue can be seen on the top of the wing. This is a least in Monaco. The rear view photo of Piquet's car shows a black rear side in Canada.

In those days, the carbon fiber used was with finer weave than the later years. The surface was usually dull when view from a distance as there was no shiny resin top coat on it.
C K
Canada

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Monaco = semi black rear wing, there are other with the black rear wing and some with the blue rear wing.Most important is that from the box you can only make the Monaco GP car due to body differences..I you want to include Nelson Piquet's GPA helmet make sure that you cut the black surroundings from the red ...

Alex.
Attachments
MON 004 kopie.jpg

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

jordan wrote:Monaco = semi black rear wing, there are other with the black rear wing and some with the blue rear wing.Most important is that from the box you can only make the Monaco GP car due to body differences..I you want to include Nelson Piquet's GPA helmet make sure that you cut the black surroundings from the red ...

Alex.
Just google Monaco 1983 GP and you should find enough pictures.. No ?

Alex.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

I did a small research:
Brazil, USA West, Race of Champions, France: Blue

San Marino, Monaco*, Belgium, Detroit, Canada: Black

At Monaco Patrese used both! The Blue and the Black rearwing. I just don't know which version was used in the race...