*Finished* S27 Honda RA107 (First Multi Kit)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

*Finished* S27 Honda RA107 (First Multi Kit)

Post by RyanJ »

Ok so my first mutlimedia kit ever. I have done numerous Tamiya kits but this is my first challenge. I got this kit from Mac and it looks really killer. I wish I would have had my camera when it came but it was at my parents house, I am on spring break this week and just relaxing before spring ball starts, so I'm getting this model done before next week! (hopefully)

The model is going to be Jenson Button's car from Shanghai where he got his highest place last season (5th). I have a driver figure (also from Mac's Modeling) and I have primed that and started to paint. Will also be weathering the car just like the real one. I am trying to make this one as close as the real car from Shanghai.

I started most of it last week. I cleaned/sanded the resin and white metal then used some Tamiya primer on everything. On the chassis itself I used TS-29 semi gloss black and I just put on the first clear coat (TS-16) just as I took this shot.

Also are the finished break discs and the steering wheel. I am just waiting on getting some carbon fiber decals to start building and putting the decals on.

More to come and comments are welcome. I know this stuff doesn't compare to anyones work here but its good enough for me. I just need alot more practice at this. As everyone says here, the first kit is the hardest and then it gets easier.
Last edited by RyanJ on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DM
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by DM »

You may want to polish the White Metal Parts with #400 and #1200 Sand Paper before having the surfacer and color on the parts :D

Topic author
RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by RyanJ »

DM wrote:You may want to polish the White Metal Parts with #400 and #1200 Sand Paper before having the surfacer and color on the parts :D
already did. :D

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Keep us posted!
Image Image

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

yup !!! good start !

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Can you post as much info and photos as possible? What tools are you using? How is it different to a bog standard Tamiya kit? I'd really like to build one of these if only to have access to the latest F1 cars.

Topic author
RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by RyanJ »

BigDuke6 wrote:Can you post as much info and photos as possible? What tools are you using? How is it different to a bog standard Tamiya kit? I'd really like to build one of these if only to have access to the latest F1 cars.
No problem. Basically you will be using all of the tools that you have used on your tamiya models. Just as you are doing with that lovely MP4-13 you bring those same skills to resin. I think the only main difference is that you need to drill holes for the suspensions and winglets and that there is alot of pre-cleaning to do before building. here is my setup. its not the best as I don't have all the money to get everything, but it does the job.

These are the tools I have:
Pin Vise with mini drill bits ranging from 61-80
Tamiya Polishing Compunds (coarse, fine, finish)
Super Glue
Micro Sol and Set
Micro Mesh
Testors Sanding Paper
Tamiya Putty
Tweezers
Tamiya Primer
Tamiya Paints:
XF-1 (Flat Black)
TS-14 (Black)
TS-13 (Clear)
TS-29 (Semi Gloss Black)
XF-5 Flat Green
X-11 (Chrome Silver)
X-2 (White)
X-7 (Red)
XF-56 (Metallic Grey)
TS-30 (Silver)

I know the desk is a bit messy at the moment I was going through all my paints. I have my laptop next to my build because I have like 25,000 pics of F1 on there which really help with reference. Mostly from 1988->the present. F1 racing mag also is a good reference material to look at. The only thing I did wish that i had was an airbrush system. I have to paint almost everything by hand (if its not in the spray cans) and it just doesn't look as nice. but I just don't have the money for something that nice.

Here is also a pic of the rear wing. clumsy me, it fell onto the floor and broke everywhere! so I sanded the super glue away and re-glued it. I am going to have to strip the paint and re-paint it.

Topic author
RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by RyanJ »

Here is the body all done after 4 coats of TS-29 and then 3 coats of clear.

and the moment of truth. I put the first decals on the front wing as Manu said, the decals work well with microsol and set. Right now I am doing the rear wing decals and will post them soon.

more updates throughout the day.

Topic author
RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by RyanJ »

here is the wing with the decals just put on.

Topic author
RyanJ
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by RyanJ »

here is what I have done so far decal wise on the chassis.
Attachments
P1010730.jpg
P1010730.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 295 times