WIP: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/13

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

WIP: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/13

Post by BigDuke6 »

HI All - After reading the posts on this site and seeing the quality of work done - I'm attempting to complete the above kit with as much detail as my skill level will allow :!: Basically I've picked up the stock re-release of this kit along with the Scale Motorsports carbon fibre templates and I hope to take shipment of some Studio27 seat belts very soon. I used to love making the Tamiya kits, but I haven't made on in many many years - so any feedback \ advice is more than welcome =)

So far I've completed the CF on the undertray as well as primed the body for painting.

More updates to come as I work out how to use my camera and try and take as long as I can to make this using the previous posts here and reference pics available online.

Here is the undertray after filling in the gaps - As you can see, I've placed together the diffuser. In hindsight this was a bad idea because it makes placing the CF decals very tricky.

CF completed on the undertray. I've also glued in some foil around the engine bay to represent heat shielding. It's not super smooth and looks a bit half baked - however I'm going to see how it looks with the engine and details in there before deciding if it needs re-doing.

The tub has been masked after a coat of primer and loads of putty to fill up the gaps around the head support section. I intend on painting the body with Tamiya spray paints (for base coats) using gun metal for the bottom and silver for the top.

I've seen a couple other MP4/13 builds and they all have the radiator hoses attached to the radiators. I've had my first go at scratch building ANYTHING and here's the result. I hope to bend these into position a little later down the track.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Looking great so far! You've done well on the CF work, it's not as easy as some people make it look hey.

With regards to the foil, try getting an eraser ( or something similar) and pressing it down flat. I could be wrong, but I believe the heat shielding is flat on these machines, so it's worth putting in the effort. If it doesn't turn out how you'd like it to, try getting your hands on a product called "Bare Metal Foil". It's slightly sticky on one side, and is a bit fiddly, but turns out fantastic. It's designed for just this use.

Keep the updates coming!
Image Image

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Thanks for the tip on the foil - I'm going to look at this before the engine is installed. I've only just discovered decal setting solutions - I have to say that I feel like I'm cheating! Just position the decal, brush a little solution on and presto!!! Come back an hour later and the thing has set tight and shrunk to cover every little detail :shock:

I've had a crack at some detailed electronics today - here's the result. It's not 100% authentic, but I reckon it'll do the trick.

TheHoodedClaw
World Champion
World Champion

Post by TheHoodedClaw »

Nice, I like it. I've sort of started this kit myself. I plan on doing it as the Orange Test Scheme but work and stuff always gets in the way.

H
What lurks beneath the Jungle canopy? Only the Claw knows!

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Does anyone know if the gearbox had a carbon casing or if it was Alu? I was planning on doing the engine block flat Alu and washing in thinned black (as per another Mp4/13 build online) to give it a detailed look... Any tips on painting the F1 engines?

chongman
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by chongman »

Looking very good mate!

Model Factory Hiro also makes a rather nice adhesive backed heatshield material that has an embossed pattern. It's good for flat and slightly curved areas (not as thin as BMF). It sticks really good too!
When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting Steve McQueen 1971

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Thanks for the nice words all.

Here is todays work - I've added some heat-shrink and cables to the electronic box that connect to the air box. I plan on routing these cables down over the back of the engine block as per my reference pics. (I'm sorta making this all up as I go along)

I've also taken a leaf out of another MP4/13 build and painted the main block flat Alu and mixed up some acrylic black with water and "bathed" the part in this - let the excess drip off and I think it gives quite a nice effect. The plan here is to pain the gearbox black and have the rear crash structure carbon. Not sure about cables here, will have to see how it works out.

I've completed the top on board camera with carbon fiber, along with the upper front wishbones. The carbon decals need a little tidying up.

Next up is the seat and the remainder of the front suspension.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

That camera unit looks pretty cool.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Thanks Mark - It's a little scrappy around the top bit, but I think it'll pass.

Here's another small update - Cam covers added to engine along with carbon fibre of rear crash structure.

I'm going to wait until I get a different weave carbon decals to do the rear suspension. I think it would look strange to be the same as the engine.

The radiators are done with hoses attached and some wiring I made up to busy up the area.

edit: Uploaded a newer photo of the rads: Added a small piece of wire from the large silverish cylinder over to the radiator. Not sure what this is, but it was on a reference pic. Mixed up some clear red & clear blue with some flat Alu to create the "anodized" look. I'm quite happy with how these have turned out.

Enjoy,
-Mark

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

The steering wheel is pretty much done now - slowly - but I think it turned out ok.