WIP: Tamiya Renault RE20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

ClearViewF1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by ClearViewF1 »

WOW! This is beautiful. I’ve never seen this car in real life. Most people who have, describe it as being somewhat bulky. I couldn’t disagree more. The RE20 is wonderfully innovative and I simply love the car. Even though the M23 is still my favorite F1 car, when completed nicely, I think the RE20, P34 and the Matra MS11 are the three most impressive looking models in Tamiya’s F1 lineup.

One detail you might consider if it’s not too late is the use of carbon fiber decals. Since you are razor sharp with color separation and decal work (obviously!) I think their use would add an element of realism to your finished model. The black contrasting surfaces on the monocoque are carbon fiber and the use of CF decals would surly bring out its own contrasting definition. A lot of folks don’t realize that carbon fiber has been used in racing car applications since the mid 1960’s. Even though the 1966 Ford GT40 MKll was the first car to employ carbon fiber in its construction, it was the Shelby “All American” Mark lV’s of 1967 that were credited – or recognized as the first racing cars to employ the wide use of honeycomb composite construction. At least two parts of the ‘67 Mark lV’s composite structure included aluminum and fibrous carbon. It wasn’t until over a dozen years later that McLaren was credited as the first manufacturer to produce the first car that was truly full composite construction utilizing carbon fibers.

I may be wrong, but I’ll bet this tidbit of GT40 trivia surprised a good bunch of folks on this forum.

Keep up the great work.

P.S. Using an email address from your website, I emailed your company awhile back about having multiple runs of 1/12th F1 decals produced for my personal use but didn’t hear from anyone. If your company does this type of work and is interested, please email me at info@clearviewf1.com and I’ll resend my original email back to you.

Take care
Andy
Andy Mathews
ClearView-F1
www.clearviewf1.com

Lazbun
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Lazbun »

The black contrasting surfaces on the monocoque are carbon fiber and the use of CF decals would surly bring out its own contrasting definition
I always wondering if that is in fact carbon fiber. According to me reference photo, it looks like carbon fiber but the rest of the tub is aluminium. I cannot be sure until Andy confirm it now.
PUN

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Lazbun wrote:
The black contrasting surfaces on the monocoque are carbon fiber and the use of CF decals would surly bring out its own contrasting definition
I always wondering if that is in fact carbon fiber. According to me reference photo, it looks like carbon fiber but the rest of the tub is aluminium. I cannot be sure until Andy confirm it now.
Hi

The tub is mainly aluminium, but carbon was used in places. The bottom part of the tub is most likely painted while the top of the tank most likely was carbon. Also the Brabhams used carbon here and there. But the MP4/1 was the first to make an entire tub out of carbon fibre. Nowadays it is almost possible to bring an entire F1 car through the security at an airport. We still have to see a carbon engine though ;-)

Flemming

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Here's some more progress shots - I took Andy's suggestion and I put carbon fibre on the fuel tank, and also in the black areas of the cockpit.

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Outstanding work Michael...

Very Clean.
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looks great Michael...nice clean work.

tgoncalves
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tgoncalves »

ga ga ga ... drool ... very nice and clean, gotta love those turbos !

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Beautiful work Michael!!!!!
Steve Noble

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

Michael, excellent work! Both the modeling and the photography.

How did you manage your lighting for the shots? Softboxes, reflectors, strobes, shooting table?

Cheers,
Mike

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Hi Mike

I have a square light tent that I put in my driveway on sunny days. Put the camera on a tripod, use a remote release, adjust polarizer. I also use an external flash, but I point it above the light tent - I use that flash to trigger a second flash on the opposite side of the light tent from the sun - this second flash I usually hand-hold (I really need to get a flash stand;-)