Some of your suggestions needed

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Robban
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Robban »

I use proxxon tools I think and minicraft tools, the proxxon tools are great and not to expensive

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

For me, I use a pin-vice for small holes, as it's easier to control and you break less bits, with less damage to the model than a press. Make a guide point with a needle or fine exacto blade before drilling, though, or you could be off in your placement of the hole. You can pick up a good pin-vice and a series or fine bits for very reasonable.

It's also a good idea to have a rotary tool around for bigger issues, modifying parts, etc. They're good for cleaning up white metal with a stainless steel brush wheel also.
Cheers,
Chris

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Pin Vise is a most.The best one is from Tamiya(its black in color) Get some drill bits #80 to #61.Tamiya also makes drill bitws in MM from .03 to .08 should work.
If you get a Dermel also get a speed control for it.This is so you have more control of its speed.For plastic you willwant to go slow so you dont burn the plastic. If you can get some grinder lub for the Dermel bits.This will keep them from getting plugged up with what ever material you are working on.A company called Eastwood carries this stuff.
A jewlers saw is great for cutting flat plastic.
Go to Art supply stores.They have alot of great stuff that you can use(models are an art right)

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys, I'm going working on it... and I've also decided to buy "me" a 126C2 (Villeneuve Imola '82 version). Any trick!?!
Ciao, Paolo

westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

I don't have any trouble with the Dremmel-tool. I work with a stand, to put the Dremmel vertical and I use the flexible axel. I also modified power output with a pedal on the floor and this works great in keeping the rpm's on the low side. I was lucky to find on the internet a guy who sold 100 0,3mm drill's. So now I have a little stock. I tend to brake a view :oops: .

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

I agree with what has been said before...for plsatic and small holes rather use a pin vise. As Billgtrp already said....get the small Tamiya one. It's very well made and if you order it in Japan along with kits or whatever it's even cheap:-)

For straight cuts on styrene sheet or thin brass and nickle silver sheet i simply use a cutter and a thin metal ruler.

If you want to get into scratch building stuff get yourself a digital caliper. They are quite cheap by now and i use mine all the time!

For building parts and shaping them i find proper files very important. Forget the cheap ones you get sets of in modle shops or the local diy store. Search for "swiss files" or "needle files". In the U.S i think GROBET is a well known manufacturer. They can easily cost $10 a piece but they are worth it.

General rule for tools....don't try to save money and buy cheap. You'll end up throwing the stuff away and get better ones!

westra
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by westra »

For good hobbu supply's I ordered my files (Vallorbe) at www.shesto.co.uk I read a building diary from Akihiro Kamimura and he pretty much satisfied with these files and he was right.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Yes, the Vallorbes are very good. I'm a bit shocked though about the prices....:-)
I think you can get them for less...

henk4
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by henk4 »

I use a (silver( Tamiya pin vice (with c..) for the small holes and a Proxon for the heavy work.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I vote for the pin vice for holes. I have four, because when I am drilling I almost always have 3 or 4 differant sizes that I use at the same time. They are quite inexpensive and easy to use, once you get acustom to them. There are a lot of source, but here are my favorites.

http://www.micromark.com/
http://www.smallparts.com/
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/catego ... 000&page=2

Hope this helps.
Pete J