Some of your suggestions needed

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author

Some of your suggestions needed

Post by Guest »

Hi guys, I'm going to detail my models always a bit more and I found many difficults in make little, very little holes, cut very streight piece of resin or plastic and to rebuilt some pieces. January the 14th is my birthday and I'd like to make me a present. Well, I'd like to know from you more about which material and instruments I need to do that, what do you suggest and what do you think about it... thanks for all!
Ciao, Paolo
PS: Sorry for my english...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

PAolo, I know what you mean. Not long ago, I made little holes with the sharp point of a scissor, by twisting it!! :shock:
There are small drill machines, the are as small as a mobile phone, they have pin vises
and more tools... er better see a pic:
Dremel ones are the most famous... but expensive. You can get a cheap one for around 15€ at tools section of great shops...
Hope it helps
James

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Keep in mind Dremel is owned by Bosch and Bosch has not been very model friendly in recent times.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Oh, great, I'll have a check in some internet shop... And it's usefull even to cut or only to make holes (James, I actually use a hot neddle for little ones and go twisting...)? How can I make some straight cut as I see you guys do!?! And what about rebuilt some pieces, what mould should I use!?!
Thanks for you patience, friends!
Ciao, Paolo

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

A dremel or dremel-like device is probably over kill for small holes - a Pin-Vice is more economical and more practical as it is manually operated and is probably 1/10 the price of a dremel. You can probably find a pack of ultra-small drill bits at a hobby or hardware store (I bought mine at a hardware store).

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

the dremels I know have a much to high RPM, even at the lowest settings. Look for something that starts with a very low RPM.
Problem with a dremel and small holes is that you will probably break more drills than drill holes...

daniel
-germany-

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

daniel wrote: Problem with a dremel and small holes is that you will probably break more drills than drill holes...
well daniel, i tend to disagree on this... Maybe so if you drill with dremel only hand-held. But when using 'a stand' where you can place dremel vertical, it is easy to drill holes without braking drill. And that is good, because small drills cost a lot of money.
I do agree however that rpm of dremel is rather high, and when drilling small holes near the edge high rpm evocated heat can make the plastic melt. So if drilling with dremel near edge: go fast in & out.
I first like to take time to position drill on correct spot with undeep tiny hole so you can correct in case of misplacement. And only when pre-hole is centered, drill hole.

Wim

TheHoodedClaw
World Champion
World Champion

Post by TheHoodedClaw »

indycals wrote:Keep in mind Dremel is owned by Bosch and Bosch has not been very model friendly in recent times.
What does this imply?

H

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

A dremel or dremel-like device is probably over kill for small holes - a Pin-Vice is more economical and more practical as it is manually operated and is probably 1/10 the price of a dremel.
Oh, sure! I also do that. It was a fast answer. I found a manual pin vise holder in a model I bought and discovered it was fantastic!

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by lumpulus »

For tiny holes, the only way to go is a Pin Vise. You can get down to size 80 (.0013 I think)