WIP: 1/20 S27 Ferrari 248f1 curbside

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

WIP: 1/20 S27 Ferrari 248f1 curbside

Post by Jeff »

It's not the most exciting subject (yet another Ferrari...), but I thought the simple paintscheme would it make it a good choice for my first Multi-Media kit. I'm finding a few accuracy, alignment & fitment issues, but so far nothing that can't be fixed. Just about all the metal parts need to be thinned down in order to get scale thickness but should look fine with a little effort. All in all I'm having fun with it, which is the whole idea :)
These are some rough 'quick & dirty' pics - I'll try to post more clear pics next time.

I gather this is a common problem with recent S27 kits, the nose wing sits too low to the ground. In the pic below I have already raised the wing but I will need to raise it a little further still. Using a lot of blue-tack for test-fitting.

The airbox has been drilled out, but will need a bit more cleanup work

The RHS exhaust outlet is as per the kit - a simple white metal tube inserted into the body; the LHS exhaust has some scratchbuilding, using Milliput putty to get the correct shape of the exhaust shroud, then drilled out & inserted a small piece of aluminium tube to simulate the exhaust a little more correctly. I'll get to the RHS next week.

Back to the nose again - after shortening the two vertical supports in order to raise the wing, I thought they looked a little short & stubby; reference photos confirmed the need to reduce their width, which will make them look more correct & elongated. The 2nd front wing plane is too angled (should be more parallel to the ground). I'll also fix that over the next week or so. But that's it for now, some more pics next week.

builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

RE: WIP: 1/20 S27 Ferrari 248f1 curbside

Post by builder77 »

Good luck with the build.
Looking forward to watching the progress.

Chris

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great! Now you have it mocked up, I'll ask you for some measurements if you can. prepare your caliper!! :)
I thank you in advance, it's for my scartch building project... Keep the pics coming, and tell me the measures if you can before you disasemble it down again! milimetres wellcome!! :)

mikemechanic

Post by mikemechanic »

Great start so far. Does anybody know if there is a 248 from the Canadian Grand Prix?

Thanks

Mike

DNracing

Post by DNracing »

Hi Jeff, I’m new to this forum but I’m building F1 models since many years. I built recently the S27 248 and I faced the same troubles concerning the 2nd front wing planes. In the photo you can see I move the fixing holes towards the end of the nose cone and a little bit lower.

Good luck and enjoy this build.

Bye. Davide

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Does anybody know if there is a 248 from the Canadian Grand Prix?

Thanks
:shock: the wall-smashed version?? :shock
:-D
PS: the pics in which I marked the figures I want to know seem small but they expand if you click 'em. Don't ask me how I did it, don't know! :)

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Looks like a great start, keep us posted!
Perhaps make the pictures a little smaller in future though.
Image Image

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

captain, buy a bigger monitor!

great start, love the mods (or corrections) you're making.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Hi Jeff,

Great to see you're underway on a new project. Really like what you have done so far.

I saw one of these built up recently and even without any corrections/improvements it looked to be a pretty good representation of the real car. Keen to see yours progressing!!

cheers,
michael

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the comments guys

Many thanks for the tip, Davide - we'd all love to see pics of your finished model if you have them.

OK James, these are for you (P.S. any progress on the 1/20 Sauber C23 decal sheet? No rush, just curious)

A = 26mm
B = 27mm
C = 30mm
D = 29mm
E = 18mm
F = 15mm
G = 10mm
H = 5mm (however I will raise it by another 2mm or so - it needs to line up with the bottom curve of the front wheel rim, if you know what I mean)
J = 21mm
K = 28mm

Note also that in the pics, the model is sitting on a approx. 1mm thick piece of plastic, which I use as a template for the ride-height.

hope this helps!