WIP: 1/20 S27 Ferrari 248f1 curbside

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Greaaat!!! Thanks a lot! :) It'll help to confirm my car's measures or correct others...
Very useful, indeed.
Note also that in the pics, the model is sitting on a approx. 1mm thick piece of plastic, which I use as a template for the ride-height.

hope this helps!
Does this mean that wheels are suspended 1mm in the air? OK.
The C23 decals are ready and waiting for the rest to come home so I can send together with FW07B ones. Sauber stuff turned out pretty well :)

DNracing

Post by DNracing »

Hi Jeff, first of all, you must exscuse me for my english, I'm italian and I have learn this language, many years ago, to school!!!!...now I'm 40 years old!!!.......
...."et voilà".......this is my finish work, some mounths ago!
What do you thinks, about this?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

DN, Eccezionale!!! :)
What brand are the "additional" decals? they look great!!
God I love this car!!!

DNracing

Post by DNracing »

JamesB wrote:DN, Eccezionale!!! :)
What brand are the "additional" decals? they look great!!
God I love this car!!!

Many thank's, Jamesb!
They are "Tabù Design", from Japan. Very good made!

Topic author
Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

No worries James, just to clarify, the wheels are not 1mm up in the air, but the template ensures that the bottom 'plank' sits consistently 1mm off the ground, while at the same time the wheels rest on the ground. It will assist me in adjusting the suspension wishbones (bend up or down) in order to keep the car level and maintain the 1mm rideheight allround and with all the wheels touching the ground. Excellent news about the C23 decal, thank you!!

Davide, it looks great! Hopefully we can see more of your work here on f1m.com. Good to see the "extra" decals are good, I have them also. And your English is much better than my Italian :wink:

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

James,

Just as an aside, a number of the distances that Jeff has measured off the S27 are actually stipulated by the rules. Most of the junk on the sidepods is built up and out to the exact limit of the size restrictions, thus every team's chimney and winglets will extend to exactly the same height above the reference plane. Same with big flip ups in front of the rear tires, the height is stipulated by the rules, front wing endplates have to fit in a virtual 'box' etc etc.

I was just thinking that if you are scratching a car, you can probably get at least 50% of the measurements from the rulebook - though perhaps you already have this?

Jeff, sorry for the slight OT diversion.

cheers,
michael

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great clrifying notes from both, thanks!! :)
Also thx for the decals note DM ;-)
Back to measures, I did know that the winglet chemney heigth was rules imposed... but didn't know the measure itself!! :( In the good old days GPI kept me updated about widths, heigths, overhangings... but since some years ago I began to be a bit disconnected on that...
So about the winglets heigth, that's 60cm over the reference plane, which is 5 cm lower than the the outer undertray edges, which would explain this heigth in scale being 28 rather than 30mm, right?
Thanks for bringing out this particular, boys -yes sorry a bit OT ;-)- and if you want we can share what we know about it:
-body width: 140cm. included front wing -fornmerly 150cm-
-rear overhang: 50cm for wing planes, 60 -or 80, I don't remember- cm for sideplates, this intended to elave space for sponsors!! :shock:
-reference plan -RP from now- is the central section of undertray, right?
-outer sectons of undertray, 5cm higher than RP
-Yes, sidepods "junk" max 50 cm higher than RP
-Rear wing max 90cm over RP
-front wing, minus central section, 15 cm over RP (?) also max restraint, unknown by me...
-Oh yes all lower surfaces between inner wheel tangents must lay on a flat surface minus central section!! anti ground-effect rule!
-Front overhang, max 100cm?

Yes all those measures that teams take to the limit -performance related- are golden to take measures from pictures!!! :)
Jeff, that's the better way to control ride heigth, clever move!
Thanks pals
J